Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 01:17 PM

Default jam question

once I mix, then master with an outboard finaliser, can I just burn the result with Jam and have the proper subcodes on it to take to have a glass master made for copying?

thanks
Old 11-30-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Re: jam question

Yes, provided you also have Toast.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:39 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Which version of Jam is it? Earlier versions of Jam didn't need Toast to burn a CD. Newer versions (i.e. "Toast w/ Jam") do... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2002, 11:19 PM

Icouri,
I don't want to drift off-topic and I hope you get a definitive answer to your question. While we're on the subject, what I'd like to know is,
how much better is it to get this 'Toast w/ Jam' package vs, using iTunes?

I know, it's probably an obvious answer and I feel somewhat silly asking, but I just got my Mac the other day, and I'm also new to Macs from being a PC user all my life, so I'm just a bit in the dark as far as iTunes vs. a dedicated CD burning program.

I know you can use itunes to rip CDs, convert aiffs to mp3 and burn CD-Rs (I hope that's right?), so what would I gain by using Toast&Jam?

Thanks for the guidance...
Old 12-01-2002, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
I know you can use itunes to rip CDs, convert aiffs to mp3 and burn CD-Rs (I hope that's right?), so what would I gain by using Toast&Jam?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">iTunes is great for what you just said......Toast can do exact copies of CDs ( with all pauses intact), iTunes has fixed pause options (0.5/1.0 sec/etc.) Toast is also ripping and copying faster than iTunes.
Jam lets you burn Red Book compatible CDs for duplication and you can also adjust track lengths, do crossfades and adjust the gain of individual tracks (useful for down and dirty applications that don't need hi-end mastering)
Toast is also perfect for burning data/backup CDs.
I guess these are the most obvious features, I'm sure there's more....
Toast w/Jam is a great value, IMHO..

Andi
Old 12-01-2002, 07:11 AM

pk_hat, I'm glad 'door' is able to answer that comparison question. I am also new to Mac world, from PC alley, and I find iTunes to be 'not very intuitive'. Toast is just cleaner in it's interface and the Jam feature is very similar to MasterList (but no SCSI drive required!). I didn't know about the ripping feature (in iTunes), so it may be good to use it to convert my bounced mixes to mp3? Cool.

There's more product specific info here:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toa...am/index.jhtml
Old 12-01-2002, 07:33 AM

Toast also allows simple data burning of DVD-R for the Superdrive users, and bootable disc burning.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:42 PM

I think that toast w/Jam includes the latest toast version 5. Make sure to update if if necessary from their website, as there has been a fairly recent toast update.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:31 PM

ok, the fog has cleared somewhat, though I'm still a bit confused about Jam. What does it do that Toast doesn't? (besides make the latter taste delish...)
Old 12-01-2002, 07:37 PM

pk_hat,

Jam allows you to crossfade songs, adjust gain, etc. See the posts above about it. iTunes will adjust gain too... but I don't believe that it burns Red Book Compatible CD's. None of this may even apply to what you want to do. If you just want to burn CD's for yourself and some buddies, then iTunes will be just fine.

I have Toast w/ Jam and have used it quite a bit. But ONLY because I bought it to record LP's to HD, then mark off the tracks w/ Peak, save it as a Jam image, and have Jam burn the giant wave file into a CD w/ split tracks. However, I think I've since learned that Peak can burn a CD I believe...which means I really don't need Jam afterall. Unless Peak LE doesn't do it. I happend to have Peak 2.5...and have not even messed w/ LE. Heck, I'm not even sure if my version of Peak will work. I've had it for a long time.

My guess is, you will be able to survive without Jam... but Toast is a must have. I consider myself sort of a Mac "poweruser", so I use Toast a lot. But the casual user may not. However, if you ever are in a situation that demands you have Toast...yer screwed if you don't have it. For instance, making a "Boot CD" etc.

Best of luck,
Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan