Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2001, 09:56 AM

Default Scrub editing anomaly

Hi folks,

Anybody come across this? I have a G4/466 and 384k RAM. The scrubbing with the mouse is not good - jerky, lags behind the mouse movement, etc. However, I have a JL Cooper Midi controller on loan, and the scrub wheel on it works as it should: smooth and efficient. What's going on? Why should the extra machinery of Midi perform better than the direct connection of a mouse?
Old 08-21-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Scrub editing anomaly

Hello? Anybody?
Old 08-21-2001, 02:45 PM

No one has answered you 'cause the real anomaly here is that someone actually uses Scrub editing.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:13 PM

Hey there,
Scrub editing is not an anomoly, Chompers. I'm in audio post/soundtrack restoring and I use the function constantly 8 hours a day (with a mouse, not a controller). The only rough mouse scrubbing I've ever come across was due to the computer being overloaded with heavy-duty tasks (big, hi-res quicktime movie going along with a PT session with more edits than I've got hairs on my head). Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, Doug.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 PM

Wow, thats interesting. What does the scrub method give you that you cant do with a waveform?
Im just curious.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:59 PM

The usb port is not always the most efficiant method for a mouse.
Doug, do you have anything else using the usb bus other than the keyboard/mouse?
Like midi control?
Old 08-23-2001, 06:09 AM

Hi Chompers, anyone who edits by just looking at the waveform isn't getting the full picture! Try cutting in the middle of a strummed acoustic guitar without listening to it by scrubbing...

I do have a printer on a USB port, but usually it's switched off. I'll try it in various states of powered-ness and see if that makes a difference.

Coleman, the problem is generic to my set-up. The complexity of the project doesn't seem to affect it. Oh, and watch out for that RSI, my man!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:29 AM

Ive edited more acoustic guitar than anyone I know. I use my ears more than my eyes. I dont get where the scrub helps. I guess its a matter of technique.
I never find scrubing helpful. It seems all the "scrubbers" are from the video world.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chompers:
Ive edited more acoustic guitar than anyone I know. I use my ears more than my eyes. I dont get where the scrub helps. I guess its a matter of technique.
I never find scrubing helpful. It seems all the "scrubbers" are from the video world.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chompers,
Now you've got me confused. Earlier you said you edit using the waveform, which to me means you use your eyes ... but here you say you use your ears, which to my mind is where the scrubber comes in. No attack here, I just feel like maybe I missed something?

I like using the scrubber because I too like using my ears, and want to know just where in the waveform my edit point really is. I have found it somewhat difficult to control sometimes, but not erratic or jerky as the original poster stated. I find it more wants to run at its own speed (often real-time) which doesn't match my mouse movements (often slower or faster). Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Kurt
Old 08-24-2001, 12:17 AM

Kcarter..
I think you got it right. What I meant was I alwats listen first and then the correct waveform location is never hard to find.
I understand the "scrub" concept. It aleays seems to take longer than simply estimating the spot and dragging the edit point back and forth till you get the right edit.
I was excited when I first was presented with the scrub option in a dig.audio editor. ( for me it was Deck) But I never seem to use it.
What exactly do you do? Are you scrubbing a track to find an insertion point?
If even try to use the scrubber, it get very confuseing. In pro tools the scrubber disappears when you start scrubbing, and when find the spot with scrubber, the insertion point is still wherever you had it before you started scrubbing.
Im at a total loss for the advantage of the scrubber. (except for video)