Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 PM

Default Feature Request - Advanced Slip/Shuffle Mode Needed!-Reaper (ripple) and Sadie (Slip)

Hi everyone I've seen numerous old threads about his subject and it hasn't been implemented yet.

I've worked with many daws and prefer protools overall. It is however, missing this feature which Sadie and Reaper have been doing for years. Adding this feature will save hours and hours of editing time for many speech editors (i.e. radio documentary producers) and also dubbing mixers when they need to make changes after 'picture lock'.

Please note I'm aware of option+shift+return and also option+H. However these shortcuts are very basic and time-consuming compared to Reapers 'ripple' feature and sadie's 'slip' feature which can be turned on with a click of a button or hotkey.

Once enabled you would be able to slip all audio regions, including the one highlighted, to the right or left depending on what setting it is on. This should also be able to be set to 1 track or all the tracks. When moving the audio it would be freely dragged by the mouse - because not everything in audio needs to be set to a grid.

The current shuffle setting only moves audio on 1 track and nudges it up tight against the closest region - not useful at all.

Why is it important? Because not every audio process is linear. Sometimes you'll build the end, the beginning then the middle and need to move everything quickly and ACCURATELY.

How would this benefit AVID? Because dawss like Sadie are flaky and expensive. I personally would much rather move over to one single DAW for all of my audio work - as would many speech audio producers.

Please support this feature here...http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...t!/216955-3779

Thanks,

John

Post-production Sound Engineer in TV, Radio, Music and Games
Old 11-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Feature Request - Advanced Slip/Shuffle Mode Needed!-Reaper (ripple) and Sadie (S

How does shuffle mode (as opposed to slip/spot/grid) not accomplish this? If you need to conform for picture edits, group your tracks and select the exact amount of time you need them to shift left or right in the timeline by entering a value, then either cut (delete) or insert time (shift+command+E). If you need certain elements to remain locked to the timeline, lock the regions before performing a shuffle. Having regions shuffle left or right by slipping is anything but accurate.

Shuffle editing in ProTools is extremely fast and accurate and I conform huge feature film sessions, including automation, this way with ease. It's just a thought process that takes some getting used to. If you're not working in frames or perfs, instead of slipping the region with the grabber, why not place the cursor on your sync point and highlight up to the point you want it to hit, go into shuffle mode, and either insert or delete?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Feature Request - Advanced Slip/Shuffle Mode Needed!-Reaper (ripple) and Sadie (S

You are definitely not alone. I try to be bi-lingual sadie/protools. Most of my work is in radio, so no sync lock to worry about.

Sadie slip mode is just wonderful, and a defining feature for me which prevents me from making a full transition to PT.

I get mostly frustrated as 'select all to end and move' in PT invariably breaks a fade over the join, as they are included in the selection. I'm constantly re-editing material when the client wants to 'just extend this edit a nudge'. My underlying music edits get broken. Perhaps I'm just using it wrong, but I can't find a way to not damage fades.

Although, we have been spoiled by sadies trim window and wicked fade handling. Protools needs a way to lock fades to clips, or temporarily disable fade editing when moving overlapping clips.