Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-21-2020, 01:06 AM

Default Feature request : 7.1.4 bus

Hi,
any chance we could have 7.1.4 bus and panner that can also be mapped to physical outputs as opposed to just 7.1.2?
I know DAPS takes care of it, but this would be handy for installation work, some VR workflows, and probably for Atmos beds? not to mention those of us on Windows
Thanks

Last edited by Led; 06-21-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Feature request : 7.1.4 bus

Yes. I never understood why they did not do this from beginning
Ale
Old 06-21-2020, 10:56 AM

+1
Old 06-22-2020, 06:13 AM

Atmos beds ('fixed' channels) go up to 7.1.2, hence the PT limit.
If you want to address the individual speakers you'll need to make objects. Same goes for the surrounds, for the beds there are only 4 surround channels while there can be many more speakers individually addressed by objects. I'll agree things are wonky because many home cinema configurations only use 4 surrounds speakers matching the 7.1 setup exactly and 4 top speakers where there are 2 speakers per bed channel, but that's the way it is.

7.1.4, of even 9.1.6 would be nice as fixed channels, especially for editorial suites so you can skip the DAPS software/configuration, but it's not only a Protools feature, Dolby would need to support it as an input configuration. (correct me if I'm wrong and they already support this by now)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Atmos beds ('fixed' channels) go up to 7.1.2, hence the PT limit.
If you want to address the individual speakers you'll need to make objects. Same goes for the surrounds, for the beds there are only 4 surround channels while there can be many more speakers individually addressed by objects. I'll agree things are wonky because many home cinema configurations only use 4 surrounds speakers matching the 7.1 setup exactly and 4 top speakers where there are 2 speakers per bed channel, but that's the way it is.

7.1.4, of even 9.1.6 would be nice as fixed channels, especially for editorial suites so you can skip the DAPS software/configuration, but it's not only a Protools feature, Dolby would need to support it as an input configuration. (correct me if I'm wrong and they already support this by now)
Thanks for the input, good to hear other perspectives on it. To be honest I'm not too across the DAPS workflow, mainly because I'm on Windows and she no go. I'm more interested in the bussing for MPEG-H so I can do a 7.1.4 mix with quad panning in the elevation and record stems then author in the MPEG-H software, which can be done using the 3rd order ambisonic bus that already exists in PT as your send and return from the HAPI renderer. So it would be useful in a few ways, as well as the edit suite/premix setups that you mentioned without DAPS. I think it would be a useful feature with out without support from Dolby as there's other uses for it.
Cheers.

Last edited by Led; 06-23-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:16 AM
Development Partner

Been asking for this for a while. It's true that the initial limitation was based on the Atmos bed. But we still need 7.1.4 and 7.1.6. Here's one example:

Exponential Audio immersive reverbs (which I know a little bit about) are designed to react to the panned position of a signal. If the signal is panned to left side, then all reflections and reverb propagation will begin at the left side. But when the signal is panned to the top, the only information the reverbs have is top left/top right so they can't be as natural as they're capable of being. Nuendo has a larger selection of bus configurations and those reverbs will sound more natural there.

7.1.4 doesn't interfere with Atmos at all. The top corners need to be assigned to objects, so there's some fiddling with busses. But the overall result is much better.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:37 PM

+1
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Been asking for this for a while. It's true that the initial limitation was based on the Atmos bed. But we still need 7.1.4 and 7.1.6. Here's one example:

Exponential Audio immersive reverbs (which I know a little bit about) are designed to react to the panned position of a signal. If the signal is panned to left side, then all reflections and reverb propagation will begin at the left side. But when the signal is panned to the top, the only information the reverbs have is top left/top right so they can't be as natural as they're capable of being. Nuendo has a larger selection of bus configurations and those reverbs will sound more natural there.

7.1.4 doesn't interfere with Atmos at all. The top corners need to be assigned to objects, so there's some fiddling with busses. But the overall result is much better.
This has surely got to be a major request.
Davinci Resolve and Nuendo have got this bussing issue as part of their workflow.
Avid had better get this fixed as Davinci Resolve is hot on their heels.
The studio version costs as as much as the yearly Protools renewal.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:04 PM

I would have thought that unless Atmos supports it, it would just be a bit of a weird mix of channel-based and object-based audio channels. Both seem like they are treated differently by Dolby Atmos.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I would have thought that unless Atmos supports it, it would just be a bit of a weird mix of channel-based and object-based audio channels. Both seem like they are treated differently by Dolby Atmos.
They are different. In Atmos, you'd have to tie the top 4 to objects. But that doesn't make it any less-desirable. I do know that the Exponential Audio 'verbs I wrote will actually support up to 6 top channels. When things are panned through that reverb you'll actually get a more natural propagation of the signal. The dry part of the object would of course be panned as an object, but the send panner would then be able to put the signal into the full reverb.

There is a trick you can use with those reverbs to get a 7.1.6 reverb, but the upper propagation isn't as natural as it would be with a true 7.1.6 (or 7.1.4) stem width.

(oops) Much of my reply from this point got swallowed. I'll have to paraphrase myself....

Let's assume you had a 7.1.4 or 7.1.6 stem width, a bus of the same width feeding it, and an aux channel with a 7.1.6 reverb. As long as your send is following the panner, any object will also pan the dry signal into that wider bus. This will give you a more natural propagation in the space.

I actually would rather set up a 7.1.6 reverb with all of the height reverb in objects (you can peel off the top stereo pair into a sub-path which feeds an object. Be aware that I'm only talking about the bed reverb--not anything else in the bed). I put the top corner reverbs into objects that are permanently panned to the top corners. I put the bed top reverb into a pair of objects panned halfway back along the top and I duck them by 3-6 dB. This means that a venue with at least 6 top channels will get a very spacious decorrelated reverb that works all the way around the room. If the venue has only 4 height channels, those "Top-Side" channels will be treated as if they're back in the bed, correlated front-to-back. But because they're lower in level, they won't squash the spaciousness generated by the top corners. And if the room only has 2 height channels, everything gets shoved into that top pair (not much you can do about that).

Since objects don't have the delay compensation that the bed does, you have to make your best guess about how much to delay them. But since the tail comes on pretty softly, you can get away with an imperfect guess.

Last edited by Michael Carnes; 03-18-2021 at 04:52 PM.