Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Default Re: I just hate the new pro tools here is why:

Was there this big a hoo-haa when the graphics changed from 5 to 6? Or did everyone agree it was better?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
AMEN

all that being said (over and over, time after time)....

i have a willingness to be thankful but disappointed at Digi

a lot of time has passed

with no gesture towards the likeminded that PT8 is an eyesore

(and don't sweat "spel chek"....
if someone has to point at something like that to discount you...that's digging pretty low.)
Thanks for the spell check comment. Truth is, I am french. I wonder if this was a french forum, how many spelling mistakes this guy would make...

Anyways, the greyish backdrop plus the heavy black contours on everything is distastefull and gives me an headache. I think digidesign is trying to lour musicians into spending big bucks to get an HD sysyem so they made the interface look like a music sequencer. BAD MOVE. Pro Tools had a nice uncluttered visual interface, almost medical, with a nice clean white back drop. Furthermore, all the lines where thinner and things where tidier.

For example, in the edit window, I could open the inserts row, the sends (A-E), the I/O row, plus the track count/groups row and the regions row and still have plenty of space left to work efficiently. Now with the new ''Me too-Cakewalk Sonar'' graffics, all of this takes so much more space that half my screen is wasted. HATE it, jus HATE it
Old 11-26-2009, 09:44 AM

After an excruciating 15 year wait...Pro Tools 8 was our turn. Thank you Avid.

Love, The Songwriters
Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 AM

But I do sympathize with your massive disappointment. I got ill when I heard the disappointing announcements of PT4 PT5 PT6 and PT7 and everything in between...same old disappointment for 15 years straight...no significant improvements for composers. Why did I put up with that for so damn long to joint the PT club? Nothing touches TDM technology and PT reliability and professionalism. I wanted to write in PT, not write in Logic, then lose your entire mix moving to PT for mixing. What a a deflating workflow. PT 8 changed my life.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
After an excruciating 15 year wait...Pro Tools 8 was our turn. Thank you Avid.

Love, The Songwriters
being a songwriter has NOTHING to do with the eyesore GUI

and in new innability to go hours and hours in editing sessions.

i am a songwriter, drummer, producer, engineer, vocalist, vocal coach,
(and no this is not about me) this is not about songwriters having a turn.
that is ridiculous.

and i was never complaining until PT8 came out and i paid for it in full and man i hate to use the word hate...i hate hate.....but i hate it too.

viva la france! (i'm also half french)

Old 11-26-2009, 03:15 PM

PT8.0.1cs1 is the best version of PT for me. I started at PT 5.0.1 and have seen it get better and better.

With so many alternative DAW's and used systems around, I find it hard to believe there is so much bellyaching going on. Sure, every new version of everything needs time to iron out.

When I look at 8, a lot of things come to mind. None of them are 'eyesore' or 'inability'. I just work on the project.

Then again, there's no French in my genealogy. Maybe if there was I'd think it sucks.

But for real -

Did all other versions of PT stop working? I'll whine on and on about broken 'features' but what's left of Digi is working hard on this one.

All of our rooms boot 7 AND 8 and two still have a TDM MIX system standing by for super old recalls, etc.

Playlist comping, better VI's, better EA, the whole Shift-S, Shift-R, Shift-M thing, better video management, and a darker, more standard backround for long work (see Apple's designer documentation) = better DAW then PT7.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
PT8.0.1cs1 is the best version of PT for me. I started at PT 5.0.1 and have seen it get better and better.

With so many alternative DAW's and used systems around, I find it hard to believe there is so much bellyaching going on. Sure, every new version of everything needs time to iron out.

When I look at 8, a lot of things come to mind. None of them are 'eyesore' or 'inability'. I just work on the project.

Then again, there's no French in my genealogy. Maybe if there was I'd think it sucks.

But for real -

Did all other versions of PT stop working? I'll whine on and on about broken 'features' but what's left of Digi is working hard on this one.

All of our rooms boot 7 AND 8 and two still have a TDM MIX system standing by for super old recalls, etc.

Playlist comping, better VI's, better EA, the whole Shift-S, Shift-R, Shift-M thing, better video management, and a darker, more standard backround for long work (see Apple's designer documentation) = better DAW then PT7.
No you're right...8 is cool, lot's of great features which you mentioned.

The Grey ONLY Edit window ain't one of them though. YMMV naturally.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Science says darker is easier over 10 hour periods. Apps that you don't necessarily work in ALL DAY like the Safari browser I tap this into don't need to be grey. But the eyeball isn't as strained with grey hues.

Now I'm not saying that's a blanket argument - some here obviously don't like the darker backround. But I do. And whether it's on a 23" ACD or 46" TV it looks better to me, and to most cats that don't just hate change for change's sake.

I could see how the color pallet could have a slider for the backround, though, to make it more sterile for the haters. I'd rather them fix ADC, but whatever. Keep b*tching about colors and maybe the important stuff can wait, right?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM

I`ve been playing with 8 on an Le system (My HD rig is still on 7.4)
The Keyboard shortcuts dont seem to function in the main edit window any more.......
They work in the midi edit window that pops up......I`m not really a fan of working that way but that is beside the point....
Am I missing something obvious ?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:30 PM

The only really disappointing thing is that 7.4.2 won't work on Snow Leopard..

come on digi give us that long requested 7 skin option, and get our money for the upgrade!! (a bugs fixed version would be nice too)

PS to the "songwrites".. PT8 Users...

seems like you guys have quite a few problems with 8 by the look of it on this very forum... am I wrong??