Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Remote Recording On Carbon

I've been running Carbon for about 4 months now and thought I'd share my recent remote experiences with it. While studio tracking has been slow, I recently did some cast recordings at a theatre I'm tech director for. I mounted the Carbon unit in a case, brought a separate rack with a Presonus HP60 headphone amp in it, a pair of powered monitors, some tube mics and a gaggle of headphones/split boxes.
I used my 2014 MacBook Pro to run PT2021 with the Carbon in front of me for metering/control and monitored off the HP1 jack. Ran a 25' extension off HP2 for the conductor feed and another 25' extension off HP3 feeding the HP60 in the recording area (costume shop, for absorption in a live space.) Those six headphone amps drove split boxes and so we had 12 sets of phones for the cast.
Tracking through the DSP monitoring made punching single lines simple and we moved through the score pretty quickly, here's a video snip of of the set-up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-sN...ew?usp=sharing

The Carbon preamps and conversion are very good, I was using a MOTU 16A with Audient pres for this kind of tracking previously and these are a step up in both areas. If Carbon expansion becomes a possibility in the future, I'd think a pair of Carbons with 16 mic inputs and 16 digital inputs at 96k could handle a lot of what I'm doing on a digital console now, given a 16 channel control surface. Software control of the preamps is on it's way already as I understand it.
I went back for two additional sessions after the first one and really appreciated what a compact, powerful rig it is. I really dig being able to leave the rack at the studio and open the PT session on the MBP with just a pair of earbuds for doing edits and bounces. I did run into that bug where disabling DSP mode on the recorded tracks dropped their volume significantly, I think that's supposed to be fixed in the latest release but haven't updated yet as I'm mid-production.
Show opened on Friday:

Last edited by trimix; 04-25-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Avid

Default Re: Remote Recording On Carbon

Super cool! Thanks for sharing.
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-26-2021, 11:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: Remote Recording On Carbon

Btw, that bug you mentioned about level changes should be fixed in 2021.3 and later.

"Fixed an issue where monitor output level would be louder when recording to DSP Mode-enabled tracks with count off enabled. (PT-270388)"

Let us know once you get a chance to update if that's not the case.
Berkeley, CA