Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Default just one song won't respond

Hiya. Forgive me if this has been addressed in a thread already, my search was very specific and was unable to find something related

I have one very specific song I am working on that seems to end up having to force quit as it doesn't respond, indefinitely.
For the most part, I am able to work with my system uninterrupted
Monthly I try and see if there are any updates or fixed bugs, so I am mostly caught up

I am working with PT 11.3.1

Digi 003 Rack
a mid 2010 Power Mac Pro
processor 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OS 10.10.5

but with one song.... No matter what I have tried, it seems to always have me force quit. As of recently. About a week ago, I was able to work on the session uninterrupted

I haven't downloaded anything, or changed anything in my system
I run disk utility every day
I trash preferences regularly

This one session comes from a recording session that has 3 songs, all with the same tracks, the same plugins

I thought maybe something was corrupted somewhere, so my first action was to move the entire session older into a relatively new hard drive....that didn't work.....

Then I had tried save as copy in" . I did all of the necessary cleaning up actions and restarted..... That seemed to do the same thing. It doesn't respond within 5 minutes of working on the song
When it happens, usually it's just during playback, sometimes , if I can get as far as editing, it will crash during an audio file edit

So I then I started a new session, called it something else, imported session data , made sure I selected "copy files", so it's a new session and folder all on it's own

Again, it crashed immediately

My next thought was to hopefully be able to open the session, and be able to export all of my audio files and start a new session and see how that pans out

Has anyone had this happen? It's maddening. Almost like just this song is magically cursed! I don't know what else to try. I cannot trash the song, because it is a client, we don't have the option of redoing it all again

I had this happen to another session last year. I eventually gave up on it and surrendered, only because it was my own project
But please, if anyone at all has any insight to how to resolve this issue, I would be immensely grateful

Thank you so much
(sorry for the long explanation),

Thank you so much
(sorry for the long explanation)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:17 PM

Default Re: just one song won't respond

Classic sign of a corrupted session. Easiest recovery should be using your last saved working backup safely copied off to another drive/location. Do you have backups? Something in Timemachine or copied to the cloud or on old drive clones?

Are there auto save sessions going back in time?

If you have been a fool and don't have a set of great backups. Then please stop doing anything else now and create some backup/archive copies of all the sessions you have including this one. Then you can mess around with stuff.

Importing session data here is likely just reimporting the corruption. Same as Save As or Save Copy In will likely do.

You can open a new session and just try importing the audio from this bad session.

Some times these issues are caused by a broken plugin. So you can try opening the session with plugins disabled File>Open Session with Shift key held down.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:12 PM

thank you so much, backups, yes, have tried those suggestions, so might have to try once again with no plugins, although one would think that, my other sessions with the same plugins and files coming from the same drive, etc, would do the same, but again, freaky just with this song. I thought it may be some corrupted file somewhere, just gotta figure out which one. Again, thank you, gonna try a backup session from a week ago when it wasn't crashing
Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojovoodoo View Post
Has anyone had this happen? It's maddening. Almost like just this song is magically cursed!
Any satanic lyrics in these songs?
Just kidding.
Could be corrupted session, bad plugin etc.
But one thing struck me; I've sometimes also seen corrupted audio files. And you say you can open the session play a bit, edit a bit, but it eventually crashes PT. This is what made me think that perhaps a bad audio file could cause it, but not before it's being played back or edited in someway.
If I were you I'd try the old "create new session and import", but make two sessions; each with one half of the tracks imported. If one crashes and not the other, you could start to narrow it down.
My 2c.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:17 PM

I had exactly the same issue, but it was with lots of VIs running that had not been printed yet and had plugins running on master bus and aux tracks e.t.c.

I found out what was casuing the issue..

If you set the audio output to core audio, it doesn't hang (beach ball spinning wheel of doom) anymore so was definitely a HD driver bug with possibly an outdated plugin?

For me it was the plugins in the session causing the issue.

I imported the whole session again but under the "Track data to import" option I clicked DO NOT IMPORT Plugin settings and Viola. Sorted.