Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Default M-Powered Lightbridge Limitations

Since Digidesign has decided to cripple PTMP/Lightbridge functionality without explanation, I think it's fair to expect from them some kind of documentation on how PTMP and the Lightbridge are supposed to work together, even in crippled mode. I haven't found any documentation on this, but as far as I can tell, the following seem to be true:

1.) Any interfaces with IO channels numbers on them greater than 18 won't work with PTMP.

2.) Analog outs are always 35 and 36. Therefore, the only way to get them to work is to make them mirror the SPDIF outputs and order the channels so SPDIF channels are first (i.e. make SPDIF channels 1 and 2)

3.) For inputs, ADAT channels are not renumbered based on channel ordering. In other words, you lose channels 1 and 2 of your first ADAT because they now overlap with SPDIF channels 1 and 2.

4.) For outputs, ADAT channels are renumbered based on channel ordering. i.e. the 1st channel of the ADAT 1 is channel #3, the 1st channel of ADAT 2 is #11 and so on.

5.) ADATS 3 and 4 are completely non-functional in PTMP, and can't be used even if you aren't using ADATs 1 and 2. (i.e you can't use ADATs 3 and 4 to solve the conflict with the SPDIF channels outlined above, even if it doesn't exceed the 18 IO limitation.)

So, Digidesign, can you confirm that this is how in your view PTMP and Lightbridge are supposed to work?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Re: M-Powered Lightbridge Limitations

Oh, and one more thing

6.) Because of 3.) and 4.) above, hardware inserts cannot be defined because input and output channel numbers no longer coincide, making HW inserts impossible in PTMP.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Digidesign - can you please respond? I really need you to confirm whether or not this is how your software is supposed to operate.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:37 AM

Digidesign - I need a response. There is no reason why you can't reply to this indicating how the Lightbridge is supposed to work with PTMP.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 AM

Look at the title of this forum/conference: Digi Users Conference.

If you so desperately need an answer from Digidesign, you need to contact them directly. I would suggest by phone.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Look at the title of this forum/conference: Digi Users Conference.

If you so desperately need an answer from Digidesign, you need to contact them directly. I would suggest by phone.
LOL! You're pretty funny, spkguitar. If you have nothing useful to add, then why not leave it at nothing?

There's certainly nothing wrong with posting this here. After all, other Users probably need the same info, since the functionality changes from release to release, and isn't documented anywhere.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Suggesting that you contact Digidesign directly was something that was supposed to be useful to add.

Posting the same question over and over again trying to get a response from Digidesign hasn't seemed to be working out for you, mostly because, as I pointed out, this is a user's conference.

Maybe stomping your feet and holding your breath might get better results?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Suggesting that you contact Digidesign directly was something that was supposed to be useful to add.

Posting the same question over and over again trying to get a response from Digidesign hasn't seemed to be working out for you, mostly because, as I pointed out, this is a user's conference.

Maybe stomping your feet and holding your breath might get better results?

No, I don't think you really intended to suggest anything useful, and you know that. The question was asked exactly once. But if your reponses keep this question at the top of the forum for me, then go ahead and respond.

Digidesign tech support reads this forum and posts here, and there's no reason why they can't document the functionality of their product so everyone can understand how it works.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Digidesign tech support reads this forum and posts here
Yes, they do occasionally read and post here, but it is not their focus or their priority. Their priority is answering actual tech support emails and phone calls.

If they have time, they will read and post here. Which is, again, why I made my recommendation. They may not even read your desperate plea for a response for days, let alone respond (here, at least) in a timely manner. I know this from spending WAY too much time on this board; I am very familiar with the frequency of Digidesign Tech Support posts, and my suggestions are truly meant to assist you in your quest for an answer to your question.

If you need/want response from Digidesign Tech Support in the immediate time frame that you apparently desire, then you should take my advice and contact Digidesign Tech Support directly.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Digidesign - your paying customers need an explanation. Why is it so important for you to disable more than 18 I/O's that you would ruin the ability to do hardware inserts in the process?