Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 AM

Default Can I upgrade from PT LE 6.4 to 7.0 directly?

Hello guys!

That's my only question pretty much. Can I do it or do I actually have to go through 6.7 or 6.9 before? I ask because I have a laptop that came with OS 10.4 so I cannot use 6.4 there. My question is, can I actually INSTALL PT 6.4 on 10.4 and then buy the upgrade to 7 ???

Thank you very much for any help,

Serge

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Can I upgrade from PT LE 6.4 to 7.0 directly?

Quote:
My question is, can I actually INSTALL PT 6.4 on 10.4 and then buy the upgrade to 7 ???
Don't install 6.4, just go to the Digistore and order the PT7 upgrade. The installer you get for PT7 is a full installer, it doesn't require any old versions to be present on the computer.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Thanks! My question is a little different though... I HAVE PT LE 6.4, and my question would be, if it is called an "upgrade" (PT LE 7), doesn't it need SOMETHING ( prior version) to know that you actuall y BOUGHT the original version (and complete once)? Becuase I can buy the upgrade to 7 here in Mexico City for about 90 dollars, and I was wondering how it worked out... mostly because I have no idea if I can install 6.4 (the one I actually have) on Mac OS 10.4 on my iBook (in order to have a previous version so that the upgrade knows I have it)... or am I crazy and, for ONLY 90 dollars, am I getting the COMPLETE Pro Tools again?!?

Thanks and please somebody reply,

Serge

Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
if it is called an "upgrade" (PT LE 7), doesn't it need SOMETHING ( prior version) to know that you actuall y BOUGHT the original version (and complete once)?
No.

If you purchase it from the Digi Online Store you might need to enter your old 6.x serial number, but I don't even think that was necessary.

If you have the hardware (which is required to run any version of PT) then you already own a previous version. If you don't own any Digi hardware, buying the PT7 upgrade would do nothing for you, so by owning the hardware you're basically confirming that you're a previous PT user.

Quote:
mostly because I have no idea if I can install 6.4 (the one I actually have) on Mac OS 10.4 on my iBook
Don't install PTLE 6.4, it won't work with 10.4. Like I said before, just run the PT7 installer, you don't need anything else installed on your system first.

Quote:
or am I crazy and, for ONLY 90 dollars, am I getting the COMPLETE Pro Tools again?!?
The majority of the price of getting into PTLE is the hardware, software upgrades are generally pretty inexpensive or free, but they require the hardware to run. BTW it's only $75 on the online store, assuming you're talking about American dollars. It's just a download once you pay, so there's no waiting for a physical CD delivery or anything.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Slim Shady... you are, OBVIOUSLY, soooo right! Sometimes I amaze myself by not paying attention to certain details I should've (re: you NEED the hardware ). Anyways, thank you so much! Really cool, dude. If you have any music that I could hear, I would be delighted.

A very happy Pro Tools User since mid-2002,

Serge