Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-03-2021, 08:59 PM

Default Can Any Real Experts in Routing Solve This?

GOAL:

To be able to bounce 3 versions of a mix all in one go.

Say, a full version, a version with just background vocals, and an instrumental.

So far, only Reaper can do this easily, as it has a "Render Queue" in which you schedule a bounce, then say, go back and mute the lead vocal, add that to the queue, and so on, until you have all your mix versions in the queue. Then you hit "RENDER" and go get coffee.

In the Steinberg forum they suggested several ways in Cubase via Aux tracks but I am not having success there. Since PT has always been lauded for how well one an route things I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has any suggestions.

With clients often asking for different versions of a mix I can't believe Reaper is the only DAW to have this feature...

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Can Any Real Experts in Routing Solve This?

Yep, it’s called having sub groups and routing the associated tracks to those subgroups. Each subgroup prints to a specific bus. Vocals subgroup print to full mix and vocals stem, BG Vox subgroup print to full mix and BG vox stem. Instruments subgroup print to instr and full mix stem.

When printing stems or offline bounce choose each bus you want printed. Ie, VOX, BG, Inst, Full Mix, all at the same time.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 PM

In Cubase, I tried:

Sending all music tracks to a MUSIC aux. Music Aux sent to stereo out, and to outputs 5-6 (so I could choose those outs as the instrumental mix).

All background Vox routed to a B VOX Aux, which was sent both to the stereo mix, AND to outputs 3-4 (so 3-4 could be chosen during the bounce of the background vocal mix).

All lead vocals to a Lead AUX. Leads sent to Stereo out only.

Problem was (for one) ...the music AUX had to be sent not only to the stereo out, but to the Background vocal outputs, so I could hear music and backgrounds for that bounce. Therefore during normal playback I was hearing the music twice going out the two mix (since the back vox were going out the two mix). I am probably over tired here but still lost a bit.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:31 PM

In Cubase? This may be the wrong forum.

A "render queue" seems like a neat idea. But in the time it takes us to compose a response you could do an offline bounce of your full mix, then solo the vocals and bounce that, then mute the vocal tracks and bounce an instrumental version. Wouldn't take that long.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
In Cubase? This may be the wrong forum.

A "render queue" seems like a neat idea. But in the time it takes us to compose a response you could do an offline bounce of your full mix, then solo the vocals and bounce that, then mute the vocal tracks and bounce an instrumental version. Wouldn't take that long.
I've been using PT since Expansion Chassis days;

I use Cubase Pro as well nowadays for projects where it's better suited for me.

Regarding doing the separate mix versions, I do hundreds (literally) of versions over a year of mixes for clients, so I really am aware of how much time it would save to do in one go.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
GOAL:
To be able to bounce 3 versions of a mix all in one go.
Say, a full version, a version with just background vocals, and an instrumental.
One way to do it would go like this:
Create a aux track for wholemix, one for vocals, and one for instruments. Instruments tracks go to instrument aux, vocals go to vocals aux, and those two are routed to wholemix aux. The wholemix aux is routed to your main out monitoring.

Then create three stereo audio tracks. Wholemix.print, vocals.print, and instr.print f.ex. Then route the wholemix output to the wholemix.print in addition to main outs. You can route any track to more than one destination by pressing a modyfier key, ctrl on mac. Same w/vocals and instruments, additional output to their respective .print tracks.

Set the three .print tracks' outputs to 'none'. Rec enable them and hit record. After one pass you should have a stereo print on each of the .print tracks that you can select and export, or find in the audio files folder, whatever.

You could make a template for this, of course. Main thing is; stuff can be routed to several places at the same time, and having a aux as your "Master fader" has several advantages.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:02 AM

There was a discussion about Render Friend here recently, a third party tool for automating this task. It's a subscription service and it isn't cheap. Like I said in that thread, I reckon the same functionality could be cobbled together using Keyboard Maestro, maybe with some additional scripting, but I haven't taken the time to do so.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...o-tools-expert
Old 02-04-2021, 08:04 AM

Sorry, the tool in question is Bounce Butler. Render Friend serves a different purpose. Here is the discussion:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412013

Bouncing multiple sources concurrently from the Bounce dialog is an Ultimate-only feature at this point. If you're willing to bounce in real-time you can print your various sub-groups to audio tracks but depending on the complexity of your session this may put you over the Vanilla track limit.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
There was a discussion about Render Friend here recently, a third party tool for automating this task. It's a subscription service and it isn't cheap. Like I said in that thread, I reckon the same functionality could be cobbled together using Keyboard Maestro, maybe with some additional scripting, but I haven't taken the time to do so.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...o-tools-expert
From what I can see, this is a tool for automating audiosuite rendering tasks, and doesn't adress the OP's issue at all.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry, the tool in question is Bounce Butler. Render Friend serves a different purpose. Here is the discussion:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412013
A bit of cross-posting here. Happens.
Quote:
If you're willing to bounce in real-time you can print your various sub-groups to audio tracks but depending on the complexity of your session this may put you over the Vanilla track limit.
Which is what I suggested above.