Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 06:55 AM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Default OT: Directly connecting Mac to PC via ethernet...

I have a PC with a wifi card and ethernet card and a Mac with an ethernet card. Is there a way that I can directly connect the two so that I can share files and access the Internet?

Thanks,
Drew.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: OT: Directly connecting Mac to PC via ethernet...

Yeah - connect them via ethernet. On mac os x this shouldn't be a problem. Remember to turn on file sharing.
A lot will depend on what os you are running on both mac and pc.

MacIDOL.com
Old 05-11-2004, 07:43 AM

Default Re: OT: Directly connecting Mac to PC via ethernet...

Seems the easiest thing is to buy a 4 port/wireless dsl/cable like the $50 Linksys type devices.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&sp=1&loc=101

This will act as a switch/hub for file sharing between the two and allow both to get on the Internet. For the PC, you can use wireless or wired to connect, if wired is convenient that is more secure than wifi. Be sure to enable WEP and setup security per the Linksys instructions before turning on file sharing on either computer. I forget the details on sharing the files/folders on each computer, but there are plenty of web tutorials. Hopefully you are on OS X on the mac, otherwise you might need some software to setup file sharing.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: OT: Directly connecting Mac to PC via ethernet

You don't need a hub or router if all you are connecting are two computers. However you do need to use a CAT-5 CROSSOVER cable, not a standard CAT-5 cable.

If you are still in OS9, you'll need an app like Thrusby's MacSOHO for the mac in order to hav ethe two computers share files. In OSX, they will talk directly, jsut set up filesharing for both machines.

We share files between PC and Mac in both OS9 and OSX daily, it's quite simple. See the Mac and PC help menus on file sharing and network connections.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You don't need a hub or router if all you are connecting are two computers. However you do need to use a CAT-5 CROSSOVER cable, not a standard CAT-5 cable.
If you have a modern Mac, a Standard patch cable will work too cause the NIC will detect what's up and set itself accordingly.
I believe Gigabit and newer will do this.
If it doesn't, it's usually caused by the NIC in the PC or other not allowing auto-negotiate to work properly.
I have not used a x-over cable in a long time.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you have a modern Mac, a Standard patch cable will work too cause the NIC will detect what's up and set itself accordingly.
If it doesn't, it's usually caused by the NIC in the PC or other not allowing auto-negotiate to work properly.
This is definitelyu NOT true of the G-4 macs, maybe the G-5's, but since either cable costs the same, I'd recommend getting the proper CAT-5 crossover cable, then you will be sure it will work.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Umm, no.

Unless Apple has done something funky to their ethernet cabling standards, thus making it non-standard ethernet cabling, and not certified by IEEE, you will need a crossover cable.

Any time you set up a peer to peer network (two computers connected directly to each other by one crossover cable) you need a crossover cable. If you were connecting the two via a router or switch, then yes, all you would need would be a standard patch cable.

Also, make sure that you set up your network to use TCP/IP as the networking protocol. Once you do this, you will still have to enable sharing on the specific drives or directories that you want each computer to have access to on the other. Enabling DHCP is also a good idea, unless you want to sit down and assign each computer a specific IP address.

Unless you are ready to learn about wireless security and encryption and how to set up firewalls, lock down MAC addresses and disabling the broadcast functions on a wireless access point, it's better to go with a cabled connection. And a 100BaseT fast ethernet is at least twice as fast as the fastest 802.11g wireless connection, and almost 10 times as fast as the more common 802.11b standard.

HERE'S a page explaining how to set up and the differences on the plugs of a crossover cable.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-12-2004, 03:52 AM

Before I sold my 733 G4 i used to connect it directly to my Dual 1.25 MDD via a standard ethernet cable. I think it is an OS software thing that automatically switches the pairs of the cable over. It should work with OSX and Win XP, just try it, it wont damage anything, it'll either work or it wont.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Before I sold my 733 G4 i used to connect it directly to my Dual 1.25 MDD via a standard ethernet cable. I think it is an OS software thing that automatically switches the pairs of the cable over. It should work with OSX and Win XP, just try it, it wont damage anything, it'll either work or it wont.
Or perhaps you were mistaken as to what you had for a cable. Software CANNOT detect the difference between networked and peer to peer connections. This is a hardware function, where the transmit and receive lines are reversed, or crossed over, to connect directly from one nic card to another.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is definitelyu NOT true of the G-4 macs, maybe the G-5's, but since either cable costs the same, I'd recommend getting the proper CAT-5 crossover cable, then you will be sure it will work.

From Mac to Mac, one G4 733 running 10.1 and the other Dual 1.25 running 10.3, I connect them without a hitch using a standard ethernet cable. No switches, no special cables.

I just transfered a bunch of data from a PC to my mac using two standard ethernet cables joined by a D-link switch (approx 20 bucks) Both of these methods work all the time for me.