Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 04-16-2024, 09:20 PM

Default Mbox Studio Playback WAV

My recording process with my new Mbox Studio has been excellent. I've been getting some really great vocal sounds compared to my old Mbox 3 Pro.

I still use my Eleven Rack for playback and for custom guitar sounds.

I have this strange issue. While my recordings sound great using Pro Tools, files like WAV's and Mp3's don't sound great when I'm playing music through my media player. Music that are also played from my playlist from other artists don't sound good either. It's almost like there's not enough bass and the sound almost sounds mono. The quality also suffers playing back music through streaming like Spotify.

However, when I use my Eleven Rack to playback music (wav/mp3/etc), it sounds great. So it's not the quality of the music or Media Player on my PC.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Do you think my Mbox might be defective?

Last edited by legacygt777; 04-16-2024 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Playback WAV

Something may be set up wrong in MBox control. I would go into your MBox COntrol presets, save what you currently have, then do a factory reset and see if it corrects the issue you are having.

System Details
Old 04-17-2024, 05:48 PM

I have had a recurring issue where playback defaults to mono so open the Mbox Control window and check that.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-18-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Something may be set up wrong in MBox control. I would go into your MBox COntrol presets, save what you currently have, then do a factory reset and see if it corrects the issue you are having.
Hi, I did the factory reset and there still seems to be a problem with the sound. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have had a recurring issue where playback defaults to mono so open the Mbox Control window and check that.
I checked that. I don't know what the issue can be.

I'm starting to think my Mbox is defective.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:13 PM

Can you describe the problem you are hearing? Do both the left and right channels sound bad? Does the signal pan as expected from the media player? You can hear a good stereo image? You don't have a cable/polarity flipped? No effects enabled in the Mbox?

How are you listening to this? What *exact* amps/speakers/powered monitors/headphones. Are they exactly the same used when you compare the Mbox and Eleven Rack? How are the monitors/speakers etc. connected to the Eleven Rack (Main Outputs or Amp1/Amp2 outputs etc.). And how is that different to what is connected to the Eleven Rack etc. Is the room treated? Output level calibrated? (not needed but it helps to know how good your listening setup is).

Can you switch between monitors/speakers and headphones or visa versa and see if the problems remain.

Have you played with gain staging? e.g. you don't have the Mbox outputs turned way down or way up? Are you comparing sources at the same SPL? Do you have a monitor controller or any way to A/B test switch stuff back and forwards live. That helps make great comparisons.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:04 PM

Can you describe the problem you are hearing?
The playback from Mbox Studio is not accurate to the sound when playing via Pro Tools. There's less bass and the quality of sound is not as good.
When I turn on the 11 rack, the playback sound is accurate to my Pro Tools.

Do both the left and right channels sound bad?
Yes.
Does the signal pan as expected from the media player? You can hear a good stereo image?
Yes, if I'm only playing through the 11 rack. The quality of sound coming from the Mbox does sound great when I use Pro Tools but not when I play a song in mp3 or wav format.

You don't have a cable/polarity flipped?
The problem with the sound comes from the headphones and the monitors. Polarity is fine.

No effects enabled in the Mbox? No.

How are you listening to this? What *exact* amps/speakers/powered monitors/headphones.

Yamaha Hs7's, Sony 7506, and Senheiser 650's.

Are they exactly the same used when you compare the Mbox and Eleven Rack?

No

How are the monitors/speakers etc. connected to the Eleven Rack (Main Outputs or Amp1/Amp2 outputs etc.).
The eleven rack is using XLR cables. The Mbox Studio is using 1/4 balanced cables. The sound issue is coming from 3 reliable headphones using 2 different headphone jacks.

And how is that different to what is connected to the Eleven Rack etc. Is the room treated?
The room is treated. I have also the Mbox 3 Pro working and everything is also working and sounding well.

Output level calibrated? (not needed but it helps to know how good your listening setup is). Yes.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:17 PM

@AVID

I have owned every Mbox generation released including the Mbox 1 which I bought in 2006 and even the Micro Mbox 2.

I've been using my Mbox 3 Mini on my laptop and I just installed it on my new PC and the playback of WAVS are accurate to my Pro Tools recording.

So to sum up this thread, I'm using an Eleven Rack and Mbox 3 Mini on my Dell Inspiron 3020 Win 11 Gen13th I7 PC and the playback of my bounced WAV is excellent.

While in PT, the playback and recording on my new Mbox Studio is excellent, the bounced WAV files do not sound accurate lacking bass and sounding flat. Mp3's and other WAV files also don't sound good.

The issue I feel from my experience with several Mboxes for over 18 years, is this particular Mbox is not compatible yet with my computer/Win 11 and that a new firmware needs to be released. I've already gone through the manual. I'm going to call Avid Service this week to look into the issue.

If this does not resolve, I'm going to return this product and go elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:54 PM

This is not making a lot of sense. There is unlikely to be some weird compatibility issue here. The MBox Studio is a ASIO device. It's the same device Pro Tools uses as any other app you are using to play back stuff. It's not possible for Pro Tools output to a monitor pair to be different than any software output to the same software output pairs (there is significant complexity here added by the MBox Control mixer that you also need to make sure is not causing issues).

All the common things that can cause the behavior you are seeing are down to user issues. So if you've excluded those then it's a real mystery and you should be running, not walking, to return this system while you can.

Common user issues are -

o Not bouncing the *exact* source you are listening to in Pro Tools.
o If comparing with monitoring while tracking raises the possibility of differences caused by low-latency monitoring/plugins, sends or hardware inserts being disabled.
o Bouncing really low bitrate compressed files.

You can check a lot of bounce issues by importing the bounce back into Pro Tools, if that's a problem then it's more likely to be a bounce mistake/problem, if not then it's more likely to be the external player related issue.

But since you hear similar issues in third party files it's not likely a bounce issue, which points at suspects...

o Having effects/filters enabled in the MBox Studio (but they should be the same with Pro Tools or other audio players as long as you use the same software outputs and Mbox Control settings.).
o Third party audio players that are doing EQ or other effects.

Many problems on DUC happen due to the hardware monitoring/mixer capabilities of modern interfaces. You may want to group all monitor mixes just to simplify stuff. Make absolutely sure you are using the same App/DAW return path in Pro Tools and your separate playback app(s) so all output get the same gain staging, effects etc. applied to it in Mbox Control (even if Mbox Control is showing you all effects/EQ etc. disabled, just make sure you use the same software outputs to make sure you have to be getting the same monitor signal processing).

And in case what Monitor Control is showing you is wrong you've already reset the MBox so hopefully that is OK.

Make sure you know where the EQ and other settings are in any playback software. Try other apps. Find out how to reset/default those app settings and try that. Esp. if using Windows Media Player make sure it is not doing EQ or volume leveling.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

All the common things that can cause the behavior you are seeing are down to user issues. So if you've excluded those then it's a real mystery and you should be running, not walking, to return this system while you can.

Common user issues are -

o Not bouncing the *exact* source you are listening to in Pro Tools.
o If comparing with monitoring while tracking raises the possibility of differences caused by low-latency monitoring/plugins, sends or hardware inserts being disabled.
o Bouncing really low bitrate compressed files.

You can check a lot of bounce issues by importing the bounce back into Pro Tools, if that's a problem then it's more likely to be a bounce mistake/problem, if not then it's more likely to be the external player related issue.

But since you hear similar issues in third party files it's not likely a bounce issue, which points at suspects...

o Having effects/filters enabled in the MBox Studio (but they should be the same with Pro Tools or other audio players as long as you use the same software outputs and Mbox Control settings.).
o Third party audio players that are doing EQ or other effects.

Many problems on DUC happen due to the hardware monitoring/mixer capabilities of modern interfaces. You may want to group all monitor mixes just to simplify stuff. Make absolutely sure you are using the same App/DAW return path in Pro Tools and your separate playback app(s) so all output get the same gain staging, effects etc. applied to it in Mbox Control (even if Mbox Control is showing you all effects/EQ etc. disabled, just make sure you use the same software outputs to make sure you have to be getting the same monitor signal processing).

And in case what Monitor Control is showing you is wrong you've already reset the MBox so hopefully that is OK.

Make sure you know where the EQ and other settings are in any playback software. Try other apps. Find out how to reset/default those app settings and try that. Esp. if using Windows Media Player make sure it is not doing EQ or volume leveling.
The playback using the MBOX Studio is not of high quality. Weather it be my wav files or albums from other artists I'm playing back, there's something that is wrong in the sound. I do not have this issue playing back music using 2 avid interfaces (eleven rack/mbox 3 mini).

The playback software I'm using all work great on the eleven rack and mbox 3 mini. I'm using 2 playback software (windows media, windows classic media). Playing music through the Mbox Studio there is a problem with the sound like I mentioned earlier. If there was a problem with the media players, then it wouldn't work with the other interfaces. The sound issue also is an issue with streaming music (ie Spotify) using the Mbox Studio but not the other interfaces. Windows Media Player is not doing EQ or volume leveling.

I am also using the same App/DAW return path in Pro Tools and my separate playback app and all output get the same gain staging, effects etc.

My Mbox Control is showing you all effects/EQ are all disabled and I'm using the same software outputs to make sure I'm getting the same monitor signal processing. But there's still a problem with the quality of the music that is playing back outside of pro tools.