Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Default increasing number of inputs - how do I do this?

Greetings,

I'm running a 002r on a PC platform...

I record mostly live band situations in my studio and keep running into the same problem with running out of drops/inputs for instruments/mics.

If I were to hypothetically purchase say a 8 channel digital pre-amp that had SPDIF out, could i then connect it to the 002r via SPDIF and actually control the additional 8 channels or record 16 channels at once?

I don't want to take the dive if it's not going to work, but I believe that is what the SPDIF is for as well the optical...

can someone clarify if this works or what I'd have to do/purchase to get another 8 physical channels

any help is greatly appreciated

kindest regards,
high hopes
Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: increasing number of inputs - how do I do this?

Dude, thats exactly what I do.... I use the behringer ada8000, But there are better and more expensive one out there. There will be more people chiming in with their favs....
Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Default Re: increasing number of inputs - how do I do this

Possible and very popular activity.

Check out this help page I have on my website with more info.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: increasing number of inputs - how do I do this

so this actually allows you to add 8 physical channels?? i know there can be clock issues when doing this, that is why i ask about before dropping dunnie($)
Old 01-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
If I were to hypothetically purchase say a 8 channel digital pre-amp that had SPDIF out, could i then connect it to the 002r via SPDIF and actually control the additional 8 channels or record 16 channels at once?
No, you'd have to use the ADAT Lightpipe for 8 channels. SPDIF will only transmit 2 channels.

You can do 44.1kHz or 48kHz over the Lightpipe ADAT connector. You can use clocking on the Digi002 or on the external piece of gear, but I would make certain that you have them set to a SINGLE clock.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM

YttriumMusic,
Quote:
You can use clocking on the Digi002 or on the external piece of gear, but I would make certain that you have them set to a SINGLE clock.
..Wrong !
The 002's digital input doesn't have Real Time Sample Rate conversion, thus it must be clocked from the external digital source from where the audio is coming from.
Unless both the 002 and the transmitting device can be clocked from a common sync generator !
..correction..depending on the external preamp, you might get away clocking from the 002's digital outs, but that is not the best way to go !!..

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-20-2006, 01:39 PM

I have a Presonus Firestation, and it indicates when it is locked to a external clock source. I have the digital out on the 002 plugged into the digital in on the Firestation and when I turn the 002 on the Firestation indicates that it is locked to an external clock source, so I would say that the 002 is sending some kind of timing signal to the Firestation.

Michael Schult
www.schultproductions.com
Old 01-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Right, as I have indicated here : "..correction..depending on the external preamp, you might get away clocking from the 002's digital outs, but that is not the best way to go !!.. "
I would try using the AD converter, Firestation..in your case as the sole clock master.
Generally this method is considered more stable in digital systems.
In your scenario, the recording device is clocking the sending device.

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-20-2006, 03:50 PM

Hi Limex,

I was just posting about clocking below. There are word clock distrabution amps out there that are high quality and affordable. I have a Henry Engineering unit it is called digimatch 2x6 it dose S/dif and AES/EBU clock distrabustion. Check it out at www.henryeng.com

Lucid made a unit too but it has been discontinued. I could not find one second hand. They are preaty cheap and open up alot of options for the LE user, looking for better quality A/D single path.

So, I agree with you all the way untill you say that external clocking is not the way to go? Or did I missunderstand your post.

This is just asking a question, I have no bone to pick so to speak, just curious what is the way to go beside HD?

respectivly,

[/QUOTE] ..Wrong !
The 002's digital input doesn't have Real Time Sample Rate conversion, thus it must be clocked from the external digital source from where the audio is coming from.
Unless both the 002 and the transmitting device can be clocked from a common sync generator !
..correction..depending on the external preamp, you might get away clocking from the 002's digital outs, but that is not the best way to go !!..

good luck,

[/QUOTE]

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Brent,
Must be the language thing..sorry
What I simply meant was : The best possible scenario is to send external clock to your recording hardware ( 002 ) from the source of AD conversion. Simple.
We are all doing this normally already.
Preamp/AD converter = internal, Digi hardware= external digital..ADAT or SPDIF.
Better ??

cheers and happy tooling,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring