Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Default What's the correct way to save plug-in maps in PT 8?

Ok, so I assigned a bunch of parameters using "Learn Midi CC" with my Axiom controller. The problem is that none of those settings load the next time I bring up the plug in, so far I've been trying to do it with Xpand.
I tried "Save Map As" and setting it to default but no luck. I've also tried saving it as a preset in hopes of finding a solution but no luck there either.

I had all of this set up nicely on 7 but can't seem to figure out on 8. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Re: What's the correct way to save plug-in maps in PT 8?

You've got to be kidding me.
I just saw this on the AIR blog

"The 'learn midi cc' function in plug-ins allows you to map a fader, knob or other midi controller to a parameter in the plug-in. This setting is saved with the session and cannot be saved as a preset or mapped to other plug-ins. For instance, if you have an instance of Boom open and map a knob to one of it's parameters, then open another instance of Boom, you would have to re-map the controller to the new instance if you wanted to control it. You cannot save the setting and apply it to another instance of the plug-in."

Come on Digidesign, REALLY? How do you overlook something like this when your trying to become a player in music production? This is a disgrace. Wow.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Avid

Quote:
Come on Digidesign, REALLY? How do you overlook something like this when your trying to become a player in music production? This is a disgrace. Wow.
We didn't overlook it. To be able to save plug-in maps, you need to have a compatible control surface - the Axiom is not one of them. The reason for this is that the way these communicate with Pro Tools requires specific functions as defined by a controller layer in the hardware and only certain hardware can support it.

If you use a compatible control surface (the new Axiom Pro will allow this), you'll be able to save and recall your plug-in maps.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We didn't overlook it. To be able to save plug-in maps, you need to have a compatible control surface - the Axiom is not one of them. The reason for this is that the way these communicate with Pro Tools requires specific functions as defined by a controller layer in the hardware and only certain hardware can support it.

If you use a compatible control surface (the new Axiom Pro will allow this), you'll be able to save and recall your plug-in maps.
You're getting confused DTS, this isn't an issue with the controller keyboard but it's to do with the implementation of the plug-ins within PT, you cannot save the CC maps of a plugin within the plugin ONLY the session. There's a workaround on the blog, but it would be good to have this implemented. Not a bug as such, more of a wish list.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
the way these [Control Sufaces] communicate with Pro Tools requires specific functions as defined by a controller layer in the hardware and only certain hardware can support it.
So at a guess DTS, to de-couple Pro Tools from the controller layer wouldn't be in Digidesign's best interest?

filosofem
Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
So at a guess DTS, to de-couple Pro Tools from the controller layer wouldn't be in Digidesign's best interest?
filosofem
No more than you working for FREE

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM

RussK thanks for the workaround, I thought about it but was secretly hoping that wouldn't be the solution. This sucks majorly, I hope it's fixed in the next upgrade.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
If it could have been done this way currently, we would have. Believe me - I asked the same question, because I thought it was pretty...silly not to be able to do this, but there's a technical reason for it. Let me see if I can dig up the email that explains it...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
I had all of this set up nicely on 7 but can't seem to figure out on 8. Anyone have any ideas?
Can you explain what you were doing in PT7 that was working??
Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM

I would assign the parameters and save settings as. Then every time I loaded an instance of say Xpand the same knobs, buttons and sliders on my controller would be assigned.

This guy demonstrates it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2lOq_xIc-Y