Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Windows on Intel Macs now official

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...5bootcamp.html

This is great in some ways but in a few years time, will Digi and others be bothered to compile code for 2 different OS platforms when everyone who owns Mac hardware can run Windows versions of everything?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Windows on Intel Macs now official

Awww you beat me to it. So I guess you can run PT on XP on a Mac. This would make it easy to compare performance between the two OS platforms--once the Mac Intel version comes out.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 04-05-2006, 08:57 AM

here come the cattle.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 AM

You might consider the fact that as has been the case with emulators of the past they may be somewhat unstable and slow. The function may be just to give those considering the switch a reason to take the leap if they feel they are not out on a limb. I would tend to doubt the overal operability of such an emulator outside the perimiters of running a piece of coverted software or offering a matress for that Clif they're about to jump off of
Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 AM

this is not emulation. natively running XP in a dual boot config.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 AM

so far this experiment is just that, hackers using special tricks have gotten Windows working on a intel mac, so what. The fact is you will not get support for this config from Apple or Microsoft, so it is doubtful the Digi would support it unless it is totally mainstreamed. Meanwhile Mac users will expect a Mac OS based -product. If digi were to abandon Mac -very doubtful in the reasonably near and mid term- Mac users would abandon digi. Remember when Avid (which owns Digi) turned their back on the Mac (quite a while ago). A lot of Mac user editors were very pissed and the conversion to alternatives like Final Cut began. I don't think Digi wants to risk that again.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:54 AM

Hello. The point that some people may be missing here is that Mac users will be able to run software that was available only to PC users. Like Gigastudio, Wavelab, Sonar, Acid, Audition, Sound Forge, etc. This can either be accomplished by getting two computers the way people already run Gigastudio on a separate PC and stream digitally, or boot into the different partitions as it's needed. There is a guy in the LE forums who did this about two weeks ago and he was running Pro Tools LE Windows on his Mac Mini. For what it's worth, the Windows version of LE has run smoother for quite a while, so that may be something to check into. And as was pointed out above, this is not an emulation or Virtual PC. This is the real deal, installing the OS on the computer, just like OS X.

But definitely the big plus now will be the ability to run software that before was available only to PC's on a Mac.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Hello. The point that some people may be missing here is that Mac users will be able to run software that was available only to PC users. Like Gigastudio, Wavelab, Sonar, Acid, Audition, Sound Forge, etc. This can either be accomplished by getting two computers the way people already run Gigastudio on a separate PC and stream digitally, or boot into the different partitions as it's needed. There is a guy in the LE forums who did this about two weeks ago and he was running Pro Tools LE Windows on his Mac Mini. For what it's worth, the Windows version of LE has run smoother for quite a while, so that may be something to check into. And as was pointed out above, this is not an emulation or Virtual PC. This is the real deal, installing the OS on the computer, just like OS X.

But definitely the big plus now will be the ability to run software that before was available only to PC's on a Mac.
Amen!

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
so far this experiment is just that, hackers using special tricks have gotten Windows working on a intel mac, so what. The fact is you will not get support for this config from Apple or Microsoft...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I tend to agree that you won't exactly get support, but it looks as though Apple is officially on board nevertheless.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 PM

i think this is going to be great; aside from the audio software, it's going to be great to be able to run Autocad, PCB layout programs like Eagle, PIC programing software, and other stuff of the sort that you can't find for Mac.