Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-26-2005, 06:32 PM

Default the beast know as Latency

wow, i hope i don't make this a habit. with my Mbox i had everything figured out, now with the new 002 rack i gotta relearn hardware.

Latency... with the Mbox you could monitor the input before the mix, and if u mute the track, and solo the headphones, everything was beautiful. regardless of what u set the buffer setting at.

Digi002 rack... my only option is to lower the buffer setting??? even when i do theres a small amount. PLUS for some reason when ever i try to do below 256 samples, i get the DAE -6088 error which is the first error i had problems wit... which was basically a compatability problem... and i fixed that.

quoting another forum post "there will always be some latency." OK i guess i can accept that. but i still feel like there must be something i can do to help fix this problem. n e ideas on how to get a good headphone mix avoiding latency? since im guessing theres no way to monitor the input signal before digi002 rack sends it to the comp. Any help and ideas is always appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: the beast know as Latency

check the "low latency monitoring" option in your menus
Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 PM

tried that... helps a lil. should of mentioned it in the first post. all artist can relate, but im just a perfectionist, and im trying to get that good mix i got from mbox... im startin to miss it.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
tried that... helps a lil. should of mentioned it in the first post. all artist can relate, but im just a perfectionist, and im trying to get that good mix i got from mbox... im startin to miss it.
Remove any latency generating plugins from your audio track and master fader (disable or remove, not bypass) and try low latency monitoring again. (You can't get latency any lower than that without extra analog gear.)
Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm no expert, so if there is something missing or wrong in this explanation, please correct me.

Using Low Latency Monitoring means that any plug-ins you are using for your monitor mix when tracking will be automatically bypassed. However, the CPU hit will still be there, that's why Chris recommended you disable or completely remove any plug-ins. That said, I record voice using both the Waves TrueVerb and Waves L2 on the Master to give me the sound I want in my headphones when tracking. I record at 64 buffer and, while I know intellectually there is latency, I certainly can't hear it and neither can anyone else whose been in my booth.

The M Box allows you to monitor through the headphones as if the signal was coming from a mixer, meaning that the input is folded back with the output. However, with the 002, in a simplified version of events, the input signal has to go through the A/D into the computer, then back out the D/A mixed with any playback. This path is where the latency comes from. Lower buffer settings lower the latency, but it can't be completely eliminated. You would need to monitor through a mixer or, if I'm not mistaken, something like an SPL MTC 2381, Samson C Control or Mackie Big Knob to completely do away with monitoring latency. But that also means no plug-ins in the monitor mix, so you would need outboard gear if you wanted to enhance the monitor mix.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward