Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Rampant Innovation and Compatibility

It appears that we are living in a time when there is an explosion in computer hardware, operating system and software innovation which is causing serious compatibility issues.

Just about every major producer of audio hardware and software have issued major “upgrades” and new versions over the past year (along with, and partially because of, major Mac OS and Windows technology changes). These hardware, OS, and software changes, if they occurred one at a time, might have been more easily and successfully implemented. However, taken all together, the challenges that the engineers and programmers have had to deal with are just more than they could handle and major compatibility issues are the result.

Read the posts in the forums of just about any major hardware, software or plugin producer and there are huge numbers of users reporting major issues and exclaiming that that particular update “is the most buggy update they have ever had to deal with”. They further speculate that the company in question “has become totally inept and no longer cares about customers”. Over the last 30 years I have seen some of this every time major updates are released, but I have never seen it so bad as it is now.

Hopefully, all the audio hardware, software and plugin producers will dedicate the next year or so, to dealing with compatibility issues instead of pushing “new features and innovative technology releases”.

Hopefully, over time this huge compatibility mess will settle down (if Apple and Microsoft both slow down their rates of major changes in their technology) and overall audio hardware/software/plugin compatibility will improve and return to some sort of “normal”.

We use most major DAWs and most major plugins on various hardware platforms every day. In our experience, no one audio hardware, software or plugin manufacturer is immune to the compatibility issues we are all dealing with at this time.
Luna 1.5, Logic Pro 10.8/Logic Pro 10.7.9, Cubase Pro 13.0.10, Studio One Pro 6.5.1, Pro Tools Studio 2023.9, UAD-2 software 11, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Fractal Axe Fx III Mk. II Turbo FW 23.02, USB FW 1.15 and Axe-Edit III 1.13.08, Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Ventura 13.6.2. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.7.1.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Rampant Innovation and Compatibility

No issues here. Latest Pro Tools, latest Waves Diamond and other Waves, latest RX Standard, latest drivers for my RME UFX, latest drivers for my Nvidia GT640 video card, latest Windows 10 Pro.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-10-2022, 01:34 PM

I learned early on that to maintain a reliable, stable workstation, that one needs to stay a couple of steps behind the bleeding edge, and not throw oneself over all and anything new or updated. I think that's the main cause of issues for those who have them, that they buy the idea that to stay safe, you need to always be up to date. And you get that warm feeling of having a "new" product after having installed the very latest.

My latest big change was moving from Mac Mini Intel to M1 six months ago, one year after the model came out. I've had to abandon some functionality and some plugins in the process, but when I felt the time was right, I was prepared to do that. You'll also notice that I'm not on the very latest versions of OS or PT.

I'm happy.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I learned early on that to maintain a reliable, stable workstation, that one needs to stay a couple of steps behind the bleeding edge, and not throw oneself over all and anything new or updated.
This is the best advice you'll get. The second-best would be to always(as in ALWAYS) have a backup plan in case ANY update goes sour

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-11-2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I learned early on that to maintain a reliable, stable workstation, that one needs to stay a couple of steps behind the bleeding edge, and not throw oneself over all and anything new or updated. I think that's the main cause of issues for those who have them, that they buy the idea that to stay safe, you need to always be up to date. And you get that warm feeling of having a "new" product after having installed the very latest.
Those that live on the bleeding edge are doomed to get cut by it.

QAPLA!
Old 05-21-2022, 02:28 AM

I beg to differ.

I've never had any issues with each build I've done myself over the last 15 years.

I've just completed my latest build (In my signature) and I'm still using PTHD11. No issues.

I always flash the MB bios with latest version from manufacturer before installing OS.
I usually disable Integrated Graphics and MB HD Audio in Bios (though at this stage haven't bothered with latest build).
OS & PT always on a freshly formatted drive...and as per Dave's advice backup each step of the way.

Also, it's a dedicated PT rig so no other crap gets installed on the OS drive.

I always create a restore point before accepting Win updates.

I like to take advantage of the latest technology available and this build is absolutely screaming along.
Having said that, a couple of my Interfaces are getting somewhat outdated but they still work well.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 05-21-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Also, it's a dedicated PT rig so no other crap gets installed on the OS drive.
I can easily see the validity of this point in a business situation. But I'm retired now, and have PT and a little gear in the middle of my living room, and I really enjoy how my mac can handle everything except brewing my coffe; TV, radio, browsing, video, Lightroom/Photoshop w/calibrated monitor, syncing w/iphone and ipad, I can pick up phone and Facetime calls on it, plus of course Pro Tools. And I got vinyl player and my old cheesegrater hooked up to it.

With the power of M1 and flash drives of today, it handles it all with grace. Of course, a rigorous backup regime lets me carefully upgrade hardware and software now and then with the option to roll back should anything go wrong, and they do. Essential to system safety as many have said.

I love how I can be sitting and watching some live sport, get up to fix myself a drink and when I pass the mix and midi controllers in the middle of the room, I can hit play on the C8, listen to the state of the session I have going in the background and maybe do some adjustments. PT invisible, and the sports live on the screen, because the controllers don't care if PT is showing or not.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 05-21-2022 at 06:08 AM.