Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 11-17-2021, 05:34 AM

Default Knob Fader Maps How to save and recall

Hi there, I am stuck with the following problem with S6. I created several knob and fader maps in one session that I really like. When I call up an old session, I don't get the new maps, but older ones. Normally I have connected my computer to the "Application" ProTools21PC under "Workstations" (with the blue asterix). If I deactivate this connection (Asterix deselected) and load my old session, the new maps are now available to me. But as soon as I set the Asterix again, the S6 reconfigures itself and I have my old maps again. I want every session to start with these new maps, but I also want these setups to be saved with the session. What am I doing wrong?
Best regards
Stefan
Old 11-17-2021, 07:02 AM
Avid

Default Re: Knob Fader Maps How to save and recall

Try this.

Disassociate (touch to remove) the Blue Star from Pro Tools from the WS page.

Create a new Pro Tools session. Add a new track and an insert for a plug-in you know you mapped previously.

Verify that the map (the desired one) comes back. Go back to the WS page and touch Pro Tools to re-add the Blue Star.

Close the session (save) and re-open it to verify the maps are the ones you want. Above when you are manually adding tracks you could just as easily do an Import Session Data to bring a bunch of elements in.

It is also possible to harvest the XML files which sit (accessible from Admin) in the following directory: C:\Users\S6User\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Consoles\Knob Maps\. It simply sounds like the maps you want are the ones which were created and not associated with a session.

Let me know how it goes.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-18-2021, 09:21 AM
Avid

You can also save a Title on the Layouts page which would include these and then reload the Title with the other session and it will overwrite them with the ones you want.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:15 AM

Hello Eddie, please excuse my delayed answer. The trick, as you wrote, was to open a new session. If I tried to switch directly from a session with the correct maps to an old session, the old map of the session was taken over as soon as I activated the blue star. After creating an empty session in between it worked. Thank you so much for your quick and effective help

Many greetings Stefan
Old 12-13-2021, 10:43 AM

Hello all, just want to clarify...

1. If the setting "Auto Load Custom Knobs and Fader Maps" is enabled, then the custom maps will save to the session every time you hit save? Will they not save to the session at all if this is disabled, or will the maps just not be loaded on to the S6 when opening a session?

2. Do custom maps also save to the title files? Do they do this regardless of any settings?

3. If I wanted to save the custom map files out separately, what exactly needs to be done? I currently see no files stored when I go to Go > (Option key) Library > Preferences > Avid > Consoles > KnobMaps. The correct workstation and application is attentioned, with the blue star. Unable to find an option to save or export custom maps from the master module.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Avid

Greetings,

(1) Maps always get saved with the session (assuming you have the Blue Star ticked under WS). The preference under Settings > System > Auto-Load simply determines if you want to LOAD them when the session loads.

(2) Not currently.

(3) That path you have specified is for EuControl (though compatible) not WSControl. For S4 and S6 systems, the maps are stored on the Master Module ->
C>Users>S6User>AppData>Roaming>Avid>Consoles>KnobM aps

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 PM

Thanks Jeff!
Old 12-14-2021, 07:43 AM
Avid

I want to amend my comment above, apparently the maps don't get saved in a Title....this is not how I designed it so it will get fixed for the next release.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:56 PM

Thank Eddie! Saving with titles seems to make the most sense for easy export/import. Or if it's separate, at least have a way to save out and load in from the s6 user pages like you can with titles, user prefs, soft keys.

Currently, it seems the only way to walk away with your custom maps, separate from a PT session, is to open the session they are attached to, log out of the s6 and log in as an administrator... find the files in file explorer, etc.. Have not tried importing these into a new session yet but I'm guessing you would have to open the new session, log out and in as an admin, then copy the custom maps into that folder...

Also wanted to note that I wasn't able to find the folder using the filepath Jeff provided, but I searched "roaming" from file explorer and it came up. I tried saving that folder under "favorites" in file explorer but it seemed like it wasn't sticking. Seemed like maybe closing the PT sesh clears that folder path completely?

Thanks all
Old 12-14-2021, 01:19 PM
Avid

Yes a title would work...you can then use the load check boxes if that's all you want to import. The Explorer thing is probably because the folder is hidden. Show hidden folders