Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Default Disk Warrior to repair Mac OSX Sierra?

My computer has become unstable, crashes all the time while running ProTools, the computer just shuts down. I re-boot run disk utility on al drive, start again and sometimes it will work but often it will continue to crash. When I re-boot sometimes I don't even get the Apple chime, other times I do. I want to repair disk permissions but I don't know terminal, can Disk Warrior help? is there any other recommended application to fix these issues?

OSX Sierra Mac 12 core 5,1 SSD drive, 96 RAM Pro Tools HDX Ultimate 2019.10

I already re-installed Pro-Tools, trashed preferences, and imported the session into a fresh session...nothing seems to help
Old 01-18-2020, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Disk Warrior to repair Mac OSX Sierra?

APFS cannot be rebuilt with DW so for starters tell us which file system are you using? Probably HFS+ though as you are on Sierra
Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 AM

Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM

More clear detail would help. what exact SSD? make/model? connected exactly how?

Is the computer panicking? Anything interesting in the system logs? (Console.app). Interface device drivers are a suspect if Pro Tools is triggering a panic. You could try built in output as the playback engine.

You should not be starting by trying to do brain surgery on the disk drive unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't see why you even think you have a disk drive issue.

Do you have a recent clone/backup.. if so just try booting that.

if not... then bad on your part, and I would connect an external drive or use a different spare internal drive, and do a full clean macOS install to that drive, using USB stick installer if you have to... do a quick pro tools install with ILM and nothing else to that new drive and just see if that is stable at all. you might have a unrelated hardware error that doing this will show up.

If it turns out the current drive is suspect I would not even risk stressing it by trying to use the recovery partition on it. Just leave it alone to start with. May be a good idea to be paranoid and disconnect the drive while going other tests, including to avoid finger mistakes.

It is an SSD, and really ends up looking like the drive is really bad, toss it out... after trying to copy any content you need off it, but actual drive errors are rare, much more likely you have a software error or user mistake that has corrupted something.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM

Thank you for your input: The drive is an SSD connected to the internal bay in the computer (I will copy and paste the specs). I don't know if this is a drive issue at all, I just don't know why the computer just shuts down while working in Pro-Tools. Today, I did a 4 hour ADR session with zero issues but last night, the computer just shut down several times in the same exact session, same drives, no other application running. When the computer shuts down, I have to unplug it form the wall and wait, otherwise, when it re-starts either it shuts down again or if it in act starts (sometimes without the apple chime) when the apple menu appears, it shows a bunch of what looks like DOS computer language that fills 1/3 of the screen superimpossed or to the side of the apple logo. Then I shut it down again, same process and this time it would start correctly (I can use it for days with no issues until it happens again). Every time this happens I run disk utility and it does not find anything to fix in the Systems drive (that passes) but it always finds something to fix 'repears bad data' in all the other drives connected to the computer. This started happening when I upgraded to the latest pro-tools that I have (but I can not blame pro tools because it could be something else). I re-loaded Pro-Tools (full re-install). I use USB drives for audio which are connected to the USB card in a PCI, an Esata internal for video, and SSD for systems drive. I will upload the specs for SSD drive
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM

well all that "DOS like computer language" is likely trying to tell you exactly what is wrong.... what exactly does it say? what did you find looking through log files in Console.app.

At this point you don't seem to have any reason to believe it is a disk issue and you risk making stuff worse for yourself fagging around with the disk until you know more. disk utility might always find stuff to repair after a machine crashes, that does not mean that caused the problem, it does not even mean you actually need to manually checking the disk.... all this seems a distraction, you need to work out why the computer is crashing to start with.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:39 AM

And in Console.app kernel panic logs are in /Library/Log/DiagnosticReports Look for event logs in that folder that end with .crash (or anything else) around the time of the problem. Also look for events around those times in system.log and the computer device listed at the very top of the left navigation panel.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 PM

FWIW, Apple released the final APFS spec two weeks ago. Disk Warrior can release when they are ready.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:41 PM

Thank you I will try to post the screen with the DOS language I took a picture of it with my phone because when It happens Ican not take a screen capture or do anything with the computer.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM

Here is a picture of the screen when it boots after the computer crashes in Pro-Tools. This is a picture of the screen from my phone:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater