Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM

Default Losing "track" of VI virtual inputs

I need to know if anyone else is experiencing this. Since I became a PT user back on 7.3, I've had issues using multi VIs. I would load a few instances of Konatkt and assign multiple virtual outputs and route them to either aux tracks or instrument tracks. So I might have 1 instance of Kontakt running several instruments out to dedicated virtual outputs, another instance doing the same thing for another set of instruments, an instiance of Stylus running with indivdual loops going out to individual outputs for FX processing, etc.

Generally, these templates would behave correctly, but then one day I'd open a session and suddenly Pro Tools had "lost track" of these VI outputs. Or I'd try to import session data to a new session, and all the outputs would be mis matched. Some outputs would simply not be selectable; PT would default to output 3/4 of Kontakt Module 2, and never let me assign that track again to receive output 3/4 of Kontakt Module 1.

It got to the point where I decided the only STABLE way of loading VI's in Pro Tools was to load SEPARATE instances of Kontakt or Stylus per output that I needed. Obviously this caused a huge amount of seemingly unnecessary CPU load due to a huge number of Kontakts loaded, but at least I knew I wouldn't wake up one day and have all of my routing screwed up.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of going the multi output route again, this time using a combination of Kontakts, and VI Ens Pro Outputs. I'm starting to run into the problem again.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't deal with this kind of problem. I don't think many people run into it because not many people overload PT with these VIs the way I am. But its becoming a deal breaker. I don't want to cripple my system anymore by running excessive numbers of Kontakt Instances, and I sure as hell don't want to be prohibited from running VSL Ens Pro in the background either.

Any help or corroboration would be appreciated.
Pro Tools LE v8.03 Digi 002r w/ DV Toolkit 2 Mac Pro 2.26 gHZ 12 GB RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Loosing "track" of VI virtual inputs

Yes, I've see the same problem on my rig.

Sometimes the inputs will move on the same plugin, so RMX will change it's input randomly from channel 1 to channel 2. Other times, I'll come back to a session with multiple VI's and they will be all over the place. Stylus assigned to Boom, Omnisphere assigned to Mini Grand. Really tired of this bug.

PT 8.0.3 LE Digi 002
Dual Quad-Core Mac 2.8 (Early 09)
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Good, then I'm not crazy. I see this as a MAJOR bug, and I'm frankly amazed not more folks have mentioned it before. I can only imagine whats going on wrong under the hood to cause these kind of major routing errors.

Avid - can you look into this? What do you need from me? I can no longer afford to deal with this problem and will be forced to switch, finally, to another DAW to get over it unless I have some sense it may be resolved at some point in the near future.
Pro Tools LE v8.03 Digi 002r w/ DV Toolkit 2 Mac Pro 2.26 gHZ 12 GB RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM

No one else care to chime in on this?

I must say, this IS the end of my composing relationship with Pro Tools if I can't get this resolved. This error cropped up during the middle of a feature film, and it crippled my entire mixing/stem printing process. It's not a bug I can afford to risk running into again on professional projects.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Yes, this happens to me all of the time. It is a problem. I'll open a session, and the midi output of an instrument track will have switched, either to a different VI or to "none".

I'll only have a couple of VIs per session, so it is easy to figure out. But I imagine it is a huge hassle for some people.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'll open a session, and the midi output of an instrument track will have switched, either to a different VI or to "none".
Hmm...is it just the midi outputs or the audio outputs? I have had my midi outputs switch occasionally, but it wasn't as big of a deal for me to fix as the VI audio outputs switching is. When my VI outputs get messed up, I can NO LONGER select them as the inputs to an aux or instrument track! Meaning, any instruments within Kontakt / Stylus I have routed to Kontakt Output 3/4 must be re-routed to another virtual output. Outputs 3/4 are dead forever for that instance of Kontakt. Pro Tools either says "the output is forced inactive" or simply connects me to Outputs 3/4 of another Kontakt Instance. Not good.

And yes, you can imagine what a hassle it is when one is working with 20-30 sessions worth of cues and having to deal with this bug 20-30 times over.

It's as if we need a VI routing matrix in the I/O settings page so that we can see how all of our virtual outputs are routed, and make corrections if necessary.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh, I should have read the post more thoroughly. I've only had the problem with the midi-outputs (which is irritating). However, although I use Kontakt, I generally never reassign the outputs so I can't really comment on that. That sounds like a nightmare.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Losing "track" of VI virtual inputs

So - Avid - whats the best way about getting you to notice this? Or anyone? Can I still submit a bug report via the Avid website? I can't find the old form.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Losing "track" of VI virtual inputs

I just learned about Vienna Ensemble Pro and it got me excited. I am very unhappy that PT 9 will not be 64-bit compatible. I am sick of having 6GB of extra memory I cannot address from PT. I bought my Mac Pro in 2006 and never would have guessed the PT software wouldn't be caught up by now, let alone the OS just becoming available. I have been a loyal PT user since 1998. I hate Logic...(yes, I've used it plenty... I don't like it). Now, I see this huge bug that again crushes my hopes and dreams of never printing a VI again. Avid, I just want to use my hardware. WILL YOU PLEASE FIX THIS? I want to spend $200 bucks and get the functionality I've been waiting 4 years for. I was prepared to spend whatever you asked for a 64-bit PT9, but alas, you let me down.... Don't do it again.