How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2022, 01:30 AM

Default IAC driver MIDI input and Virtual instruments

Hi all,

this is my first post and I'm starting with a very particular question I sould have to solve:
I use Protools as my first DAW but I need to route my MIDI signal to Reaper to let it filter/process the messages with some specific tools and route it back to Protools to playback with a virtual instrument (in my case with Steven Slate SSD5).
I actually do it through two virtual IAC driver busses but it works with a limitation: I have to record my performed midi messages on one midi track (named for example "CAPTURE"), route this to Reaper, and record the filtered midi messages from Reaper to another midi track (labelled for example "FILTERED"). Then I route FILTERED track to an AUX track with my SSD5 drum sampler. Do it in this way I have to ALWAYS record both midi tracks where I would greatly prefer to record only the CAPTURE track and let the returning events pass directly to the sampler.
Is there a way to remove the FILTERED track and receive my returning midi messages directly in SSD5? I have tried using an instrument track with the sampler and use its midi input, but also in this way I have to record the midi messages on it (that's what I need to avoid).

Sorry, I have written a long message but it is a very particular configuration

Any solution to suggest?

Thanks in advance to anyone would like to answer!

Thanks i
Old 05-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Default Re: IAC driver MIDI input and Virtual instruments

Midi data filtering or audio?

Pro Tools has the Event list for midi specific filtering.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:04 PM

I am still unclear on what you are trying to do, and why? Why not simply use SSD5 in Pro Tools, or in Reaper? What is the advantage in trying to link the 2 DAW programs?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2022, 10:35 PM

Yep. Unclear. What are you doing? and why?

What exactly is this filtering you need to do in Reaper to start with?

And you could potentially play the SSD VI in Reaper and plumb the audio back to Pro Tools with ReWire (will take some reading to get that to work).

If all you are trying to do is run a VST VI MIDI filter plugin in Reaper then ugh, why can't you do that in Pro Tools, including if needed to run the VST plugin in Blue Cat Patchwork (A VST plugin host for Pro Tools).

You really should be focused on what is the simplest/most stable way to do whatever you want. Even just running two DAWs concurrently on a single system is inviting problems, especially if you start to push Pro Tools.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:33 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'll try to explain.
My drum sound module (Roland TD-30) detect continuously my foot pressure changes and generates the CC of the HiHat foot controller to specify the foot pressure informations.
These informations are detected into SSD5 also as a sort of "ghost note messages" that generates very bad audible artifacts on the HH articulation. I cannot simply filter them otherwise I will loose the HiHat position informations, so I need to keep them but to avoid that they generate artifacts.
Searching on the WEB I have discovered that this is a quite known issue and the only solution I found is an Engine developed and customized by a very kind german guy that manages and fixes these errors. But it work on Reaper/Logic or else but not on Protools.

You're right, I could work entirely on Reaper to simplify the things but I work everyday on protools from 25 years so it is my very very very preferred DAW I would like to remain on it.

You're right, I could use Rewire to return my SSD5 audio signal back to Protools but I think that in this way I would sum the audio latency of Reaper to the audio latency of Protools and, since I use it for live recordings of my band the latency is an enemy to minimize. Consider that (not using any audio driver inside Reaper, but only MIDI) I think I reduce the CPU charge of Reaper at very few resources.

That's why I asked if there could be a simple way to receive MIDI messages from IAC driver and route them to SSD5 without recording them. A sort of MIDI aux-track or, as possible on audio track, to put a midi track in "input" mode but not in "record" mode.

I hope I have clarified.
Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2022, 03:01 AM

PS. sorry to have replied so in late but I was checking my email for forum updates but I have discovered that any email notification have delivered when an answer is received.
Sorry again.

this is the Fix I was talking about:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5791...2961893950799/
Old 06-09-2022, 03:25 AM

Hi, first of all thank you and I’m sorry for late reply but I though that I should receive an email notification when someone answers but no, I have to manually check.

I'll try to explain better my needs.
My drum sound module (Roland TD-30) detect continuously my foot pressure changes and generates the CC of the HiHat foot controller to specify the foot pressure informations.
These informations are detected into SSD5 also as a sort of "ghost note messages" that generates very bad audible artifacts on the HH articulation. I cannot simply filter them otherwise I will loose the HiHat position informations, so I need to keep them but to avoid that they generate artifacts.
Searching on the WEB I have discovered that this is a quite known issue and the only solution I found is an Engine developed and customized by a very kind german guy that manages and fixes these errors. But it work on Reaper/Logic or else but not on Protools.

You're right, I could work entirely on Reaper to simplify the things but I work everyday on protools from 25 years so it is my very very very preferred DAW I would like to remain on it.

You're right, I could use Rewire to return my SSD5 audio signal back to Protools but I think that in this way I would sum the audio latency of Reaper to the audio latency of Protools and, since I use it for live recordings of my band the latency is an enemy to minimize. Consider that (not using any audio driver inside Reaper, but only MIDI) I think I reduce the CPU charge of Reaper at very few resources.

That's why I asked if there could be a simple way to receive MIDI messages from IAC driver and route them to SSD5 without recording them. A sort of MIDI aux-track or, as possible on audio track, to put a midi track in "input" mode but not in "record" mode.

I hope I have clarified.
Thanks!!
Old 06-25-2022, 07:37 PM

iac driver introduces its own latency when connecting two daws. If you need to do tracking using reaper, then do just that and then bring it into protools afterwards. Don’t try to do it all at once. Too many complications. You don’t want to risk losing a take from a glitch introduced by software. Iac is usually used after the tracking has been done, not as one of it’s tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2022, 10:42 PM

Is this filtering some kind of AU midi plugin? Can’t Blue Cat’s Patchwork host this plugin along with SSD5 eliminating the need for using Reaper? For some reason I think it can do this but maybe some closer investigation is warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control