Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-18-2002, 04:16 AM

Default ProTools LE Mixbus - how does it compare to TDM-systems?

Some people dislike mixing in PT because they claim the mixbus on TDM systems doesn't sound good. I won't go into that debate but I wonder, what are the differences between the mixbus on TDM systems versus the Native LE-system?

What I'm really asking is; will I hear any difference if I do a bounce-to-disc on a TDM system versus doing it on my 001-system?

I think this is a important question now, when a used MIX+ systems will be within reach for many current 001 owners.

Stein Tore
Old 01-18-2002, 02:33 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE Mixbus - how does it compare to TDM-systems?

The math is different: I think PTLE is floating point summing and TDM is fixed point, but it could be the other way around...

They ARE different, tho'.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:21 PM

There is a thread on the Mac TDM forum regarding this very question. Check it out.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:42 PM

That seems to be the opinion of some respected folks in the industry, although you'd probably be able to find other opinions to the contrary ........ I guess we need someone to A/B the two systems under controlled conditions, maybe get the opinion of some of the folks who use & know both systems.

Anyway check out this link : http://www.prosoundweb.com/recpit/viewtopic.php?t=39
Old 01-18-2002, 10:03 PM

Brother Tony...That's a good link. Every time I here this explained by the Digi folks, they never commit to "which sounds best"...they do need to stay neutral of course.

I talked to some pretty respectable (Non-Digi) engineer types at NAMM who seemed to think the "summing" is what degrades the quality. The distortion you "can't see", along with a little jitter over lot's-O tracks = do-do.

Since it's human nature to fill up all available tracks, maybe it's the high TDM track count that's degrading their sound, and making the 001 sound more open or whatever.

Maybe this also explains why outputting to an analog console for mixdown sounds better, even though the board may be totally neutral (?)

Makes you think...
Old 01-19-2002, 12:53 AM

The Digi 001 mix bus is better than the TDM.
Its the digi's only claim to fame.