Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Default digi 002r intermittent in windows 7 yet working perfectly on XP

So I finally installed the 8.0.4b driver and after sorting the TPkd issue I was all set. I looked in the sounds and hardware tab in control panel and the 002 appeared to be installed correctly. I opened cubase and selected the fw002 asio driver and worked on a session for about 3 hours.

I shut down my laptop and turned off the 002. I came back to it about 2 hours later, turned both on and the 002 was connected to the computer but the 1394 like wasnt on and when I checked in device manager again, the 002 had the little yellow triangle over it. I tried selecting update driver and selected the driver from the list but it said it failled to install because the device wouldnt start (code 10)

So, I uninstalled the drivers, restarted, reinstalled the drivers, the digi 002 connected fine again I opened the cubase session and audio was playing. Shut down computer, start it up again and the digi appears in device manager with the yellow triangle again. It seems everytime I shut down, the device just isnt being recognised anymore. so I have to uninstall and re install the drivers.

I was messing around looking at devices for a while in windows and the 1394 light suddenly came back on and the unit connected again in windows.

I cant understand whats going on but when I connect the 002 to by windows xp machine, its working perfectly on pro tools 6.4 and always connects, so it cant be a problem with the firewire bridge which Ive heard people mention here.

also, it was connected now but had the yellow triangle over it in device manager and I went to the firewire driver and changed it to legacy and the 1394 light suddenly came on. I started cubase and selected the fw002 asio, it connected and played back audio for about 30 seconds and disconnected again.

Im installing Sandra now and I'll post a report as soon as I get it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 AM

Default Re: digi 002r intermittent in windows 7 yet working perfectly on XP

EDIT, confused myself it is a RICOH chip isnt it, just made for sony.

So here is the sandra report. I thought this laptop had one of those RICOH firewire chips because the driver is RICOH host compliance but apparently its a Sony chip, unless I got that wrong?

When I change the firewire driver to legacy then change it back to the RICOH host, it sometimes switches the 1394 light on and other times it doesnt. It just seems like the power is sometimes going to the 002 to connect it and other times its not. Does this have something to do with the IRQ, im not really sure what this is but I know its about a sharing of resources.

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : Sony VGN-NW20SF_S
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : TempestMusic
User : Tempest Music

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Speed : 2.2GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Sony VAIO
BIOS : AMI R1120Y4 08/20/2009
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 3.84GB SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : Sony GM45 Mobile Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 199MHz (796MHz)
Total Memory : 4GB SO-DIMM
Shared Memory : 128MB
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 398MHz (796MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Nanya NT2GT64U8HD0BN-AD 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)
Memory Module : Nanya NT2GT64U8HD0BN-AD 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (10 SM4.0, 128MB DDR3, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
WDC WD3200BEVS-26VAT0 (320GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 298GB (C:)
RICOH R5C822 : N/A (D:)
RICOH R5C592 : N/A (E:)
USB DISK 2.0 1GB (USB) : 960MB (G:)
MAT[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ADVD-RAM UJ890AS (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache) : N/A (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS)
Removable Drive (G:) : 960MB (FAT) @ USB DISK 2.0 1GB (USB)
Hard Disk (C:) : 289GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD3200BEVS-26VAT0 (320GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
Recovery : 9GB (NTFS)
Removable Drive (D:) : N/A @ RICOH R5C822
Removable Drive (E:) : N/A @ RICOH R5C592
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ MAT[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ADVD-RAM UJ890AS (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Sony (ICH9M) LPC Interface Controller
Audio Device : Sony (ICH9) HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 262 High Definition Audio
Disk Controller : Sony (ICH9) Mobile SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : Sony (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 6 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 7 : Sony (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 8 : Sony (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Sony R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals
Media Player : ()
Media Player : ()
Media Player : USB DISK 2.0 (959.72MB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Wireless Adapter 1 : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 27%

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64
Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM

You need a FW controller with a TEXAS INSTRUMENTS chipset in it.
What are you planning on recording to? Recording to your system drive is not supported or recommended, neither is a USB hard drive:

IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 AM

Im not planning on recording any audio so therefore wont need a second hard disk. Im just using my 002 with asio as an audio interface so I can run some vst's in cubase. Im not interested in running pro tools on this laptop. Im on 6.4 on my XP machine and it works like a tank. I just to use midi in cubase on this laptop and the on board sound is terrible with latency.

Ive had the 002 running in cubase for 3 hours or more and it was running absolutely perfect. But trying to get the 1394 to light is hit or miss.

What I dont understand is how come its connected one minute and not the next?

Is this because the firewire chip is unreliable or could there be conflicts somewhere?

EDIT: ive also tried running the RICOH performance tool but it makes no difference.

thanks

Think Im just gonna have to buy some cheap
Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 AM

& to add to what SW said & ur title,, there's a big reason quite a bit of us remain on XP still...jus sayin

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 AM

I wonder if this is a driver issue, or something to do with windows 7. From what Ive read about the RICOH firewire, digidesign dont say it doesnt work, they say it produces errors when you record to a firewire drive daisy chainged.

This seems like a driver problem. Everytime I switch on the 002, its recognised by windows in device manager but when the 1394 light doesnt light, it has the little yellow triangle over it in device manager with a message, device failed to start.

Ive just switched it off and on 5 times and its working again. Ive just played an mp3 in windows media play through it and had it running in cubase again.

£50 says once I switch the 002 off and switch it back on, the 1394 light wont come on again.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 AM

Ok switched the 002 off, switched it back on. Device manager saw it and just what I expected the yellow triangle.

Switched it back off and then on again, device manager recognised it, no yellow triangle, opened an mp3 in windows media player and its working perfectly.

So something is stopping it from starting up properly on switch on EVERYTIME.

firewire controlled/drivers/windows 7

I dont want to have to buy a cheap USB interface because the 002 is a great unit. Ive ran 6.4 on XP for 6 years now and never had a SINGLE problem with it. It works flawless in asio under cubase WHEN it actually connects.

Any ideas? People with similar problems on laptops or windows 7
Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher.tempest View Post
I wonder if this is a driver issue, or something to do with windows 7. From what Ive read about the RICOH firewire, digidesign dont say it doesnt work, they say it produces errors when you record to a firewire drive daisy chainged.
when dealing with this stuff, "produces errors" & "doesn't work" can be considered twins...@least fraternal twins

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)