Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Managing Video Sync

I am new to Pro Tools and I wanted to ask a few questions about video sync.

It's my understanding that video imported into Pro Tools cannot be 100% synced because as the computer load gets pressed, the internal quicktime video can ship frames. Is this a correct assumption?

If this is true then you should use a Avid Sync X along with an external video device to ensure frame accuracy. Is this also a correct assumption?

How do smaller post production companies manage video sync when using Pro Tools? Much of my work is corporate interviews and commercials which I would not use an external machine to manage sync as it is not part of my current workflow. Is there an alternative method that I am missing?

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!
Old 06-23-2021, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Managing Video Sync

These days Pro Tools internal video sync is perfectly usable without a sync peripheral.
If you convert all video to Pro Res or DNXHD you won't have any dropped frames and stop start sync & playback will be easily accurate enough for day to day use especially when working in short form.
A sync HD gives frame edge sync for ultimate sync accuracy and the confidence that long playbacks of more than an hour will not drift even slightly.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:57 PM

ive done hundreds of episodes of tv , and never a problem using imported, properly formated source footage, from an editor who knows what he/she is doing.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll be using the Avid AAF or Pro Tools export from Davinci Resolve. I'll try that out and see how it goes.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:29 PM

First, yeah do not run an MP4 video in your Pro Tools session. If a client sends you an MP4, use (the free/donationware, please donate) Shutter Encoder to convert it to a DNxHD video (Type 36 is fine). You can put that video in your Pro Tools session without worries. If you have CPU spikes with the video while using a lot of Virtual Instruments, you can try what I do and host the (DNxHD!) video in Non-Lethal’s Video Sync. If you use Pro Tools Ultimate, you can also get it to communicate as a Satellite, which has been awesome the last few weeks.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 06-24-2021, 04:09 AM

Thanks Kerry. I don't see any issues preventing me from managing it that way. Right now I have total control over what I am generating and receiving.

My system is pretty strong and so far it has had no issues editing 4-6 channels of 6K video. Plug-ins are more processor intensive so I can't go by that. I love the new Pro Tools Carbon interface however it does not have 5.1 or Dolby Atmos capability so I am going to have to look at another audio interface.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:12 AM

DNxHD in an MXF container. Whatever the low bit rate option is for your resolution.

Internal sync should be good enough for your use. You'll just need to measure your latency so you can set the Video Sync Offset in PT.

There are a lot of choices now for 3rd party interfaces that do 5.1. RME, Metric Halo, Apogee, MOTU, Focusrite, etc...
Old 06-24-2021, 11:22 AM

Thank you ~Will