Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2020, 04:49 AM

Default Amazing setup

Just saying that I have not had a single crash on my new machine.

Baring the Mac Os (quicktime chalanges) My system is super fast, handle HUGE sessions with maxed tracks and numerous VI.

Realy pleased!!
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 10-06-2020, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Amazing setup

Oh two issue ( not resulting in crashes)

1: The playpack bug when moving or edting clips on playlists during playback.

2: OMF/AA import issue when "overlaying" multiple OMF;s on the some tracks but diffrent timelines. The laters OMF do not pull the audio in properly.

Both these issue have been since PT 11 / 12 and logged numerous times with support. They are aware of it.
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 10-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisenslinproduce View Post
Just saying that I have not had a single crash on my new machine.

Baring the Mac Os (quicktime chalanges) My system is super fast, handle HUGE sessions with maxed tracks and numerous VI.

Realy pleased!!

Hi Louis,

Wow, thats cool. I am on a 2010 Mac Pro with HDX and want to upgrade to the same machine. Are you on Catalina? How much more processing power do you have? 2x? 3x? 5x? I mainly do music production, audio tracks, not much VI's.
My Mac Pro can't keep up with the larger sessions when I mix. How much of a change do you see there?

Thanks!

Luc
Old 10-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisenslinproduce View Post
Oh two issue ( not resulting in crashes)

1: The playpack bug when moving or edting clips on playlists during playback.

2: OMF/AA import issue when "overlaying" multiple OMF;s on the some tracks but diffrent timelines. The laters OMF do not pull the audio in properly.

Both these issue have been since PT 11 / 12 and logged numerous times with support. They are aware of it.
I have found that AAF is working much better from editors in this EPI's I am doing currently. Much more info seems to get there and seems more current with todays times..that is from Adobe Premiere.
I was not sure at first, but seems very reliable and with the crazy turnarounds, it's been great. Not sure that is your issue, but thought I'd offer this anyway-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-07-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi Louis,

Wow, thats cool. I am on a 2010 Mac Pro with HDX and want to upgrade to the same machine. Are you on Catalina? How much more processing power do you have? 2x? 3x? 5x? I mainly do music production, audio tracks, not much VI's.
My Mac Pro can't keep up with the larger sessions when I mix. How much of a change do you see there?

Thanks!

Luc

Geekbench Browser search result.
Geekbench is a great place to get an idea of the performance of different models.
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that single-core performance is the mesurement most applicable to PT, and it seems you can expect like a doubling of the power.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:47 PM

Congrats on the new machine. It shouldn't bugger out with that power. If it does, time for a new DAW.

I'm jealous.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Geekbench Browser search result.
Geekbench is a great place to get an idea of the performance of different models.
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that single-core performance is the mesurement most applicable to PT, and it seems you can expect like a doubling of the power.
Yes, thanks. I've check this site, great info.
But I wonder how it translate to real world work /experience with Pro Tools.

Thanks!

Luc
Old 10-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Is there a Serial Number below x number that is not as favorable as above for HDX?
Early HDX1fromTDM user. 1 system very old.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi Louis,

Thanks!

Luc

Hi Luc

Its difficult to put a number to it, but I opened up a session for an album I produced in 2016. My 2013 mac pro handles the +- 80 audio tracks including processing ok, but I ended up printing a lot of the tracks to ensure stability.
On the new machine I just duplicated the ALL the tracjs, Audio, Aux ect ect. Turned the volume down and hit play. No issues al all, CPU hovered at 25%.
So Id say its probably 3 to 4 times more powerfull.
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com