Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 AM

Default Request for new modifier key

We now have the "cmd" key temporarily changing the trim tool edit from "Slip" To "Grid" mode (or vice-versa), a "feature" which as far I can tell literally no one asked for.

A much better key modifier for me (and presumably tons of other people) would be changing the mode of the "trim" tool, so that it temporarily changes from, say, a "standard" to a "TCE" trim (or whichever you prefer). I can't tell you how much time this would save me in editing...instead I seem to spend half my life fighting to make sure the edit doesn't go anywhere near the damn grid by accidentally pressing the "cmd" key too early, or too late, or whatever it is I'm doing wrong.

* The "alt" key changes the direction of the trim! Literally never had to do that in my working life. Who goes near the start of a clip and says, "yes but what I actually needed to do was change the end of the clip.. but I still want to stay hanging around the front of it" ?!!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Request for new modifier key

as much as I support a new mod key....

I just want the keys mods back to how they were tbh!

starting with command NOT changing slip to grid mode. It is so tough and annoying to get used to, constantly looking to see what mode I'm in to explain why the cursor moves everywhere. we just need them to implement these things as options and/or fire the dingus that came up with this idea.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM

People around here have been clamoring for track folders for years and we can't seem to make that happen, and so I'm left wondering where/who the angry mob of people were that convinced them that the ALT & CMD keys should be changed to do that crazy stuff.

The snapping to grid thing drives me nuuuuuuts.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM

I know it's not the same as a single key to toggle, but if you hit F6 it will cycle through the different modes of the trim tool. I find this to be fairly easy to get used to for cycling between TCE and slip...
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM

With all due respect to all opinion, the modifier to switch from grid mode to s lip (free mode) is on any other daw I know. I would find weird not to find it.
On the same side I find incredible, as far as I've researched, there is no modifier to immediately have a grabber separation or any other alternative to the main tool.
In my opinion, with the multi tool and a modifier, you should be able to access all the available tools.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
With all due respect to all opinion, the modifier to switch from grid mode to s lip (free mode) is on any other daw I know. I would find weird not to find it.
Grid to Slip via Cmd = GOOD!!!

Slip to Grid via Cmd as well = BAD!! (this was introduced in 12.5.? I think)

The new slip>grid mod is the issue here. Shouldve been a pref or at least a different mod key. Reason being- my left hand is just wired to press/hold Cmd anytime I want the edit cursor to place right where my mouse is on screen. It's always been this way, so pressing cmd in grid would place the edit cursor as is, while pressing cmd in slip would do the same (i.e. nothing bc you're in slip already) This made editing easy since you didnt have to look at what edit mode you were in before clicking. So regardless if you were in slip or grid, pressing cmd = cursor is placed as it is on screen.

Now- I am constantly command clicking by habit while in slip mode, and the cursor jumps to a grid line when I didn't want it to. My left hand is so thoughtless that sometimes I do it over and over before realizing it's jumping bc my left thumb is on command. It's also making you look and or change your grid size while you edit which isn't necessary or convenient for small grabs.

**AVID- there are some things sacred to PT that you don't mess with. Edit speed is one of them!! The new slip>grid mod is not a time-saver in this case...it was a small, seemingly harmless change that I think really affected a lot of speed editors out there. It really gets in the way & makes you look elsewhere and/or think before you click. It sucks. Plz change it back. Please <3 If you're a Mod please pass the message along too. A LOT of people complain about this.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post

Slip to Grid via Cmd as well = BAD!! (this was introduced in 12.5.? I think)

The new slip>grid mod is the issue here. Shouldve been a pref or at least a different mod key. Reason being- my left hand is just wired to press/hold Cmd anytime I want the edit cursor to place right where my mouse is on screen. It's always been this way, so pressing cmd in grid would place the edit cursor as is, while pressing cmd in slip would do the same (i.e. nothing bc you're in slip already) This made editing easy since you didnt have to look at what edit mode you were in before clicking. So regardless if you were in slip or grid, pressing cmd = cursor is placed as it is on screen.

Now- I am constantly command clicking by habit while in slip mode, and the cursor jumps to a grid line when I didn't want it to. My left hand is so thoughtless that sometimes I do it over and over before realizing it's jumping bc my left thumb is on command. It's also making you look and or change your grid size while you edit which isn't necessary or convenient for small grabs.

**AVID- there are some things sacred to PT that you don't mess with. Edit speed is one of them!! The new slip>grid mod is not a time-saver in this case...it was a small, seemingly harmless change that I think really affected a lot of speed editors out there. It really gets in the way & makes you look elsewhere and/or think before you click. It sucks. Plz change it back. Please <3 If you're a Mod please pass the message along too. A LOT of people complain about this.

I actually see your point now. I’m new to PT and. As usual when you switch daw, you try to use same way as the old one until you don’t understand it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
yes +1
Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Agreed !!!! would love to have old behavior back !!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM

+1 for changing this behaviour back to how it was before 12.5

It's slowed me down a lot.