Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM

Default PT9, Windows7, PreSonus 16.4.2- need help

"Cross-graded" from PT8.4 LE to PT9. PC OS Windows7. Got everything to work great with my MBox2 Mini after a little research.

Hooked up Presonus 16.4.2- got all its components rolling- ie...StudioLive VSL (Virtual Studio Live), Capture, and Universal Control- great stuff- easy to use.

Now I try to get PT9 and the StudioLive (SL) to jive. First I had to make the SL my default audio device in my device manager.
Once in PT, I figured out how to set the I/O's to default-which lined up the SL. One tweek (renaming Out 17-18 2 Track in, then telling my VSL to send the incoming 17-18 to 2 Track in) and I was listening to saved sessions and feeling pretty good about life.

Then this message came up:
"ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart Pro Tools."

One forum told me to disable any wireless connections I might have in my device manager- I did that- it worked for a little while.

Sometimes it's on start up of pro-tools.....mixed in with the occasional PT Hardware not found error message.........sometimes the ASIO message comes up after I've set up a session or opened a session- seemingly random.

I'm stuck. There's other forums waiting for a solution on this one, too.

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Jay

ps. the only thing I hadn't gotten to work was recording through the SL into PT9- which is of course the reason I bought the upgrade....go figure )
Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Re: PT9, Windows7, PreSonus 16.4.2- need help

I'm having a very similar problem. Crossgraded from PT LE 8.4 to PT 9 specifically because all information I could find indicated that it worked well with the Presonus StudioLive, which I have the rest of my project studio built around. I had been awkwardly sending signals to a Digi 002 Rack, which has been extremely temperamental since I bought it 5 years ago. I can't say I'm at all surprised by the total false advertising and generally crappy programming of Pro Tools 9. Just disappointed again. If the other studio I work at wasn't so heavily invested in Pro Tools, I would have ditched it years ago for a product that actually delivers what it claims and doesn't expect its customers to spend days on end trying to configure an upgrade to get it to work at all.

Ok now that the venting is out of the way, I will say that all hell broke loose when I attempted to engage Delay Compensation and "Minimize I/O Latency" in the Playback Engine dialog. The one useful piece of information I have been able to find is that if you hold "n" during the splash screen, you can bring up the playback engine dialog, and with enough reboots of my computer, interface, and pro tools, I eventually got it to correctly play back a very simple session. In the Presonus Universal Control utility it seems to "work" best in "Safe Mode 1" at 256 samples of h/w buffer, even though the PT dialog says 512. Go figure. I'm afraid to try to do anything serious because of extreme instability.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 AM

I've made some advances-
I've been able to do a simple new session set-up, record and playback-

but it's basically like holding my breath if I want to adjust anything on the buffer- tailspin of muck after that.

I definitely can't open a previously saved session- instant ASIO error message.

Still waiting on help. Gonna bring in a local PT Jedi tomorrow I hope.

It has something to do with the Sample Rate/Buffer Size between PT and the SL or maybe it's just PT and Univeral Control?

Still waiting. Right now I'm thinking of just using Capture, then transferring the waves. Capture is super easy to use. Studio One as well.

My PT9 seems to be running faster and smoother than 8.4- that's nice. Not why I "cross-graded" however.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Uninstalled Pro Tools completely from machine. Also manually deleted all Pro Tools logs.

Installed full version of Pro Tools 9. (previously I had downloaded the "cross-grade")

Pretty much fixed every problem I was dealing with, period.

There you have it.

I guess it all started when I read the installation instructions word for word and progressed from there.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM

So, I am having even worse problems...
I have practically the same exact setup.
Windows 07 on a dell laptop. Upgraded my Le to PT9 with the crossgrade
I think here lies the problem. THe LE was run on one computer with XP.
I upgraded everything... PT and laptop.
New laptop has windows7. So PT9 will not work on xp, and I have to have a previous version of pt to get pt9 on windows 7, yet windows xp wont install on windows7

What am I supposed to do? That is pretty rediculous, and if I am a registered owner of LE and have purchased the crossgrade ( was told by several reps that crossgrade is all i need since I have an ilok and LE license) then it should work, or there should be OBVIOUS and CLEAR disclaimers.

I am absolutely dissapointed with the Avid support.
I cant even contact them without PURCHASING tech support time? with a ASC or something like that?
I am about to boycott pro tools and go with a much better program like logic or sonar because this is pathetic.

The ONLY reason why I upgraded protools because they said it could be used with any interface... Otherwise I would have went with Sonar or something else.

If I cant get some free support from Avid to get thier product to work as advertised for a paying customer, I will go buy Sonar, and I will boycott anything with protools, and I will pass my story to anyone and everyone in the industry to hopefully push pt out of the market leadership.

No free online tech support for paying customers? UNACCEPTABLE!!!
Would have never bought the product in the first place if I knew the company would be so shrewd and rude to its customers.

You dont build an easy plug and play device driver, and then you expect everyone to pay to figure it out?
Read your forums protools... there are MANY customers WAY confused with your product.
MOST musicians are not computer engineers and to me it feels as though Avid is taking advantage of this fact by making it very difficult to get product up and running so they CAN charge for support, because they know peopel will need it.
Presonus has free online support. A section to email them and they respond within 48 hours. Its free. They also frequent the forums to help customers out. why can Avid do this? What a rippoff..

So after my rant, this is the basis of my issue.

I have installed PT9 onto windows 7 and it was working... until I installed the presonus studiolive driver.
Now anytime I try to open PT9 I get one of two messages...

"Pro Tools hardware not foound or in use by another"
WTH?????
There shouldnt have to be any hardware found... it advertises as standalone!!!!!!!! According to PT9, this message should have never been programmed into Pt because it hsould never have to have hardware. Why am I getting this message and why does this message even exist?????

Second message (after it closes on its own and I reopen it)
Says something about the ASIO drivers not working or found or something...

I did nothing from when it was working till now, except install presonus studiolive, following thier install instructions to the T.

I should be able too send this issue to a tech support somewhere and not rely on other users to hopefully have the answer....
this is the most dissapointing part. IT makes me want to throw Pt away and never EVER reccomend it to anyone....having to pay to make the product work as advertised is a legal crime if you ask me....

Good luck with the future of Pro Tools...
had to open up your proprietary products because you were losing the market corner. So you finally listened to your customers and did that... woohoo!!!
Too bad your not helping us figure out HOW to do it....pathetic....

Extremely dissapointed product owner... wont say user cause the crap hasnt worked to be able to use.....

Should be able to file a lawsuit for false advertisement....

Orion Bailey...:mad :
Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 AM

I also want to mention that I have ANOTHER laptop with Vista... I cant get either my LE or PT9 to work on it either....
What a loser program... ALL because they dont have support.
I dont care if you own the most unique, best, fastest, coolest looking sports car out there... if you cant drive it, whats the point????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionBailey View Post
I also want to mention that I have ANOTHER laptop with Vista... I cant get either my LE or PT9 to work on it either....
What a loser program... ALL because they dont have support.
I dont care if you own the most unique, best, fastest, coolest looking sports car out there... if you cant drive it, whats the point????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
PT9 was never intended to work on Vista. No surprises there.

What troubleshooting have you done? What tweaking have you done? Is your computer set up properly? Can your Dell lappy even run PT9? Are your plugs up to date?

Go to the top of the forum, read the HELP US HELP YOU thread, post a SANDRA and let's see if we can get you going..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Hello Dan,

Thank You very much for attempting to give me a hand.

I have found the optimization portion that was in the link, a couple of weeks ago and it didnt help with my situation.
Here is my Sandra Report....
.................................................. .................................................. ......
SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : Dell MXG061
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : Owner-PC
User : Owner

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
Speed : 2GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Dell 0CF456
BIOS : Dell A07 06/27/2007
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB PCMCIA USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 3GB DDR2 SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : Dell 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 166MHz (664MHz)
Total Memory : 3GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
Channels : 2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 332MHz (664MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Micron 16HTF12864HY-667D3 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)
Memory Module : Kingston 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS (20 PS3.0, 7 VS3.0 375MHz, 256MB 1GHz 256-bit, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
FUJITSU MHW2100BH (100GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache) : 93GB (C:)
Seagate Desktop 1TB (USB) : 932GB (E:)
TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632D (ATA33, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS)
Recording (E:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ Seagate Desktop 1TB (USB)
Hard Disk (C:) : 93GB (NTFS) @ FUJITSU MHW2100BH (100GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632D (ATA33, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Dell 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : SMSC FDC37N769
Audio Device : Dell 82801G (ICH7) High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Sigmatel 9200 HD Audio Codec
Audio Codec : Conexant HDAudio Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Dell 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M) Serial ATA Storage Controller
Disk Controller : Dell SD Bus Host Adapter
USB Controller 1 : Dell 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Dell 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : Dell 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : Dell 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : Dell 82801G (ICH7) USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Dell R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 2 : 22136 DC-1394 PCIe
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Wireless Adapter 1 : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 54Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 99%

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x86

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.4
.................................................. .................................................. .

From what I have read, this laptop and TI firewire pcicard are all approved and my specs should meet and/or exceed everything recommended.
I am at a complete loss. Presonus continues to work pretty good while recording to Capture, the program included with the studiolive 16.4.2

Before I installed the presonus, I had PT9 working on this laptop. I was recording to a desktop with my protools LE on XP and had the files saved to an external seagate drive. I then imported the audio files into new tracks on PT9. I was able to playback, edit, add plugins, mix... the works.
Once I was able to get the Presonus working, PT9 has been giving me the following messages.

The first time I turn on the laptop and PT9, it says "hardware not found or in use by another". when I close the message, PT9 shuts down. I reopen it, and it starts giving me the message about the ASIO driver. It will work for a bit if I click on the "red X" but will keep coming back. I have gotten as far as being able to load up a song, but when I click on the play button, it will then light up the stop button permanently and the play button will start flashing.

This is about all I know. I will help you help me in anyway I can.
Again, thank you!

Orion

Last edited by OrionBailey; 04-24-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM

OK.. A couple of things stand out which, by themselves, may not be a problem for some, but added up are probably giving you fits..

1. Your lappy is not a supported Dell laptop. (I'm not even sure that your processor is supported either).

Officially qualified with Avid and M-Audio FireWire and USB audio interfaces or standalone with eSATA external record/playback drives only (USB 2.0 drives not supported with these models):
Dell M6500 Laptop Intel i7 Q920 2.0GHz
Dell M4400 Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz
Toshiba Qosmio X505 Laptop Intel i5 2.27GHz
Lenovo T61 Laptop Intel Core Duo 2.1GHz

Note: FireWire (1394) connection of audio record/playback drives should not be used on Windows 7 machines. (see details)

2. A 5400 rpm main drive. You really should use a 7200.

3. You have 3 GB of mis-matched RAM. 4GB of matched would be better.. more if you can fit it for Win 64.

4. Your wireless NIC is still turned on. You need to disable it.

5. Your secondary drive is running on USB.. (refer to bullet item #1)

Are you using ASIO4ALL?, if not, try it. There are any number of things that can be conflicting in the software from video drivers to plugins to IE to whatever. Go through the troubleshooting steps and tweaking steps including the BIOS settings and make sure that you are up to snuff.

That everything worked prior to installing the Presonus software is a good sign, but keep in mind that you are running a bare minimal system and anything that places further stress on the system is likely to knock it over the edge.

If it was me, and I had to use both software packs on that one laptop I would do a clean install of the OS to TWO SEPARATE PARTITIONS. Install PT to one, presonus to the other. Then it's just a simple matter of booting to what you need.

For the presonus desk that our worship team uses, we have a dedicated computer for it to record to using RECORD. It actually works well for what it is. When we finish, I pull the drives and transfer all of the wave files to my Mac Pro for editing/mixing/whatever. The point that I want to make here is that my Protools computer is just that. For Protools only.

I know that other folks out there are much better versed than I am with all of the specifics for laptop recording and such, and hopefully they will chime in. For now what I would suggest is as I stated above, create a partition for presonus. Keep protools separate from your other programs. Perform all of the tweaks that pertain to your system. A clean install will give you a better chance that a dodgy driver didn't remain from an upgrade.

Also, get everything working with just a base install of PT. Then add your plugs/upgrades one or two at a time to make sure it still functions as it should.

Good luck!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM

And, using Acronis or such, back up as you go along and when you have a working system and before any update and/or upgrade.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction