Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 AM

Default I had AGAIN a Kernel Panic! ...

Last week I had this same Kernel Panic, but it seemed to be solved: IT WAS DUE BY MY E-MU MIDI CONTROLLER XBOARD 25, I upgraded its drive and PT came good, smooth no probs.
Today, I unplugged my MIDI controller because I installed a brand new Canon Powershot 520 digi-cam and so I had to plug my cam via USB (the same USB port I'm using for my keyboard). I installed Canon upgrade for OSX 10.4.x and I repaired Disk Permisions as usual. After that I pliggged back my keyboard and started running PT: when I closed my session IT GAVE BACK THE KERNEL...
It's been 2 WEEKS that I'm battling with that.
If I do not plug the keyboard PT works well.
Could it be due by the Digi-Cam installation and photo-downloading??
What should I do?

Thanks.

PS: I'm still having the -9094 and -9129 PROBLEMS, IS THERE A SOLUTION? COULD IT BE LED BY A WRONG ALLOCATION? I FOLLOWED EVERY STEP OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING THREAD (but I'm having my screen at 1280x1024) BUT NO WAY.

myspace.com/korneliuskeyloid
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: I had AGAIN a Kernel Panic! ...

I had it again ALSO WITH MY KEYBOARD UNPLUGGED!
...I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO ACT.
I CAN'T BELIEVE EACH DAY I'LL INSTALL A NEW SOFTWARE OR I'LL PLUG SOMETHING TO MY MAC I'LL HAVE THIS KERNEL STUFF AND I'LL HAVE TO FOLLOW EVERY STEP OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING THREAD...IS IT POSSIBLE?
Such a mess...

Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 AM

Could it be due to the fact PT is not finding 2 audio files of my track (as I wrote in another thread two minutes ago)??

Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM

I'm repeating again the Troubleshooting steps, and while I was trashing DigiSetup.OSX, I found out also "DigiSetup.OSX.corrupt" taht never came at me before, should I trahs it too?? Does it mean something?
Then I'm also thinking that I let the keyboard always plugged to my computer, is it a prob anymore??

Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 AM

I'm sorry for also these questions Digi or guys out there, but I'm trying to be the more precise and specific I can...since I think it's about USB connections and keyboard, should I do some particular setting on MIDI functions on PT?!
Shall I plug both my keyboard and my camera to the same USB port (not everyday, but if I'll have to download some pics...) or it'll give me the same problem??

Hope you could help me on this probs...

Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Yes, trash the .corrupt file as well.

Since you keep getting kernel panics with USB devices, it might be that you have a bad USB port on your computer. It's purely speculation, you'd have to get it tested to find out for sure, but you could do some of your own testing by trying your devices on different USB ports or using a powered hub and see if that helps anything.

There's also the possibility that it could be due to bad RAM, which causes hard to trace problems - you can run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac to make sure all of your RAM is working correctly, and/or pull out all your RAM and test each chip one by one to see if having a specific chip in there makes the Kernel Panics happen more regularly.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, trash the .corrupt file as well.

Since you keep getting kernel panics with USB devices, it might be that you have a bad USB port on your computer. It's purely speculation, you'd have to get it tested to find out for sure, but you could do some of your own testing by trying your devices on different USB ports or using a powered hub and see if that helps anything.

There's also the possibility that it could be due to bad RAM, which causes hard to trace problems - you can run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac to make sure all of your RAM is working correctly, and/or pull out all your RAM and test each chip one by one to see if having a specific chip in there makes the Kernel Panics happen more regularly.
I did it.
I also run the Apple Hardware test CD (both the basic test and then the complete one, as it suggetsed me): EVERYTHING'S GOOD (fortunately!). USB ports seem working good, but I didn't try with a powered hub...btw they work fine so I think they're not damaged (and I hope so!).
So I don't know.
Tomorrow I'll try back to use PT (because now I re-followed the Troubleshooting steps).
Thnaks!

PS: can you tell me something about thatt too: -9094 and -9129 PROBLEMS, IS THERE A SOLUTION? COULD IT BE LED BY A WRONG ALLOCATION? I FOLLOWED EVERY STEP OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING THREAD (but I'm having my screen at 1280x1024) BUT NO WAY.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 PM

I see you mentioned a USB powered hub. I had a Belkin 4 port USB 2.0 powered hub that caused kernel panics. Why, I do not know, but others have had problems with KPs and hubs (check Apple support). Since I didn't have any 2.0 devices, I changed to a cheap Belkin powered 1.1 hub and have not had a problem since. If you need a 2.0 hub, I think someone recommended that you keep 1.1 and 2.0 devices on separate hubs/ports.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Hmmm, -9129 errors seem to be pretty much a Windows thing according the Answerbase, there's nothing in there for Mac OSX. There's a few things about -9094 being related to Airport use, so if you're using any Wi-Fi (airport) or bluetooth connections make sure they're turned off when you run PT. I'm also noticing that you don't list a firewire drive as part of your setup - if you're using the internal drive for your PT sessions that might be part of the problem, -9094 also have some correlation to disk setup/performance according to the Answerbase.

Another think you could try is the 6.9.2 cs4 update, available from the downloads page. I don't see your particular errors mentioned in the fixes, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, -9129 errors seem to be pretty much a Windows thing according the Answerbase, there's nothing in there for Mac OSX. There's a few things about -9094 being related to Airport use, so if you're using any Wi-Fi (airport) or bluetooth connections make sure they're turned off when you run PT. I'm also noticing that you don't list a firewire drive as part of your setup - if you're using the internal drive for your PT sessions that might be part of the problem, -9094 also have some correlation to disk setup/performance according to the Answerbase.

Another think you could try is the 6.9.2 cs4 update, available from the downloads page. I don't see your particular errors mentioned in the fixes, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
Well the -9129 comes at me when I got high H/D Buffer Size (1024), while -9094 comes at me when it's too low (512) (or better, PT says to me like that...). I don't have any Airport device or Bluetooth in the upper menu-tab...today I also did system upgrade of the Airport device (even if I DO NOT USE IT), thinking maybe it could fixe the prob.
Besides that I use a Lacie Firewire HD 250G (I used Apple's Disk Utilities to initialize my Lacie Drve in Mac OS Extended): in fact I got it because I don't want to use the same internal drive...then, I did this:

"- In System Preferences > Energy Saver, disable sleep mode by setting the slider to "Never". Uncheck "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible". In the Options page, set Processor Performance to "Highest" if this is available on your model Mac (iBook, Powerbook and G5's).

- In System Preferences > Display, set your monitor resolution to a minimum of 1024 X 768 (I ONLY HAVE MY MONITOR 1280X1024).

- In System Preferences > Classic > Start/Stop tab, Uncheck Start Classic when you log in. Pro Tools 6 and higher are not supported when Classic Mode is running.

- In System Preferences > Date & Time, verify that the date is set correctly and that you are not using 24 hour time."

if my USB port works well, is that bad using it both for MIDI keyboard and for Photo-Camera (since hub are not suggested)??
...I hope I fixed the Kernel Panic and I hope I won't have anymore those messages at the beginning of each session...