Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2021, 09:51 AM

Default Bus Naming Issue

I've had this issue for a while and just finally decided to see if someone can provide some input.

I have no issue creating or naming I/O buses. The issue is they now get retained across new session creation. So if I create a new session, all of the bus names created from a prior session appear. If I go into I/O setup / Bus I can select the default and this does wipe the old bus config out but it only defaults to 20 some bus lines.

First question is why does the bus config get retained in the first place? I cannot see anywhere in preferences for this.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Bus Naming Issue

Hmmm, most of us use the same busing for every session, so having them appear makes sense to me. If you are still starting every project from a blank slate(empty session), then maybe its time to start using custom session templates

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-25-2021, 11:13 AM

Hey Dave, or Dave - I actually do use session templates however for the bus config, depending on the style of music I may use a little as two reverb AUX busses or up to ten. Same thing with compression, etc. So when I start a new session I'll pull in a template BUT EVEN before I pull in the template the bus config is present.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM

They had for awhile the option of whether or not you want to over write the bus setup when opening sessions. Stupidly they took it out.

The thing to use is import/export I/O setup on the I/O page. Save a few I/O setups and then (choose whether you want to have it to happen to all tabs or just the bus tab!) import to replace your busses. You can actually import I/O from other Pro Tools sessions -- just point to a session (including the one you just opened) instead of an I/O export.

The other option is wipe bussing before you open the session. Close one session, delete all busses, open new session.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:20 AM

Yep that's want I'm doing. Thanks for confirmation that it's just not me.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:25 AM

As for creating a new session, on the new session dashboard, the I/O setup option is right here:

Old 04-25-2021, 11:27 AM

Damn, forgot about this. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:29 PM

Yep, IO Setup Files are your friends.
Either you choose one from the IO Setting Selector on the Dashboard Dialog or in the I/O Settings Dialog with the Import Setting Button. THere you can even choose if you want to apply them All (Input, Output, Bus).

I still wish they would finally fix the popup menu in the Dashboard Dialog so the IO Settings are displayed alphanumerically (as I complained about in a different post already).
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 04-26-2021, 08:30 AM

I get so many sessions on a daily basis with someone else's I/O in them that I made a little macro that opens up the I/O dialog, steps through all the tabs, deletes everything, then pulls up the import I/O box to my preferred I/O. I just automatically run it on any incoming session - saves oodles of time.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6