Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Is a mic preamp necessary with the Mbox 2 mini?

Quote:
stoneinapond, thanks again for the advice. My setup is basically what I mentioned in my first post: Audio Technica AT3035 mic going directly into my Mbox 2 Mini, which goes into my Macbook Pro laptop. I see what you are saying about my mic not plugging into a compressor. If a low cost unit wouldn't be a benefit, is there something you would recommend I add to my setup to warm up my vocals? Should I look into getting a tube mic like you said? Maybe some sort of tape simulation plugin?
What are you monitoring on and what is your budget?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
What are you monitoring on and what is your budget?
I have M-Audio BX5a monitors and my budget is around $300.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
...I have M-Audio BX5a monitors and my budget is around $300...
Monitors are OK.

As to the $300, after some consideration and web surfing I've come to the following conclusion.

Save your money for now. That amount (and please, someone else chip in) will not really get you anything of quality. Keep saving more money to add to what you already have.

In the meantime, if you really want to buy something may I suggest checking out Steve Massey's plug-ins at,

masseyplugins

He has a tape emulation plug-in that I haven't used, but I do own several of his other products. People who do have it speak highly of it. The plug-ins that I have (C4 and his limiter) are great, but the real beauty of his stuff is that he provides unlimited demos (with some restrictions, but not that you can't use the plug-in) and if you decide you want to buy, you're looking at around $70 a piece.

The other suggestion is to "Google" the internet to find out as much as you can about improving your recording techniques. You are doing yourself a favor by dealing with limited means, because it will force you to find ways of making your stuff sound good without crutches. And you should be able to make really decent recordings with what you have.

Later, you can upgrade your microphone, or the interface, or converters, or monitors, or all the above……but understand that the search for the holy grail in audio perfection is expensive and long, and not for the faint of heart.

Best of luck.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 PM

stoneinapond, thank you so much for all of your help. Looks like I will be investing in some plugins for now; Im going to check out the massey plugins. Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM

I got the Joemeek preamp, but since I'm new into PT..I don't know how to use it I need some advice about how to set it up without using the 003's preams. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM

I guess is in the digi's referance guide, right?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:24 PM

Probably.. Everything else is LOL

I would suggest using inputs 5-8 to bypass the digi mic-pre's.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Probably.. Everything else is LOL

I would suggest using inputs 5-8 to bypass the digi mic-pre's.
Or you could try using the optical output of the JM to go to the optical in of the 003. Just remember that the 003 should be set to "External" clock (which is described in the PT manual.)

I would try both (analog and digital) to make sure which you prefer.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM

flommer&stoneinapond

Thank you guys, I really apreciated.

One more thing: the SPDIF cable , "should be a high quality one". What does that mean? Shall I look for a different quality cable, not the "normal" that I can find in every store?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
flommer&stoneinapond

Thank you guys, I really apreciated.

One more thing: the SPDIF cable , "should be a high quality one". What does that mean? Shall I look for a different quality cable, not the "normal" that I can find in every store?
The S/PDIF cable should be a 75 ohm "digital" cable (commonly referred to as coaxial, although it has similar connectors), and not a regular RCA phono cable.

While you could technically use the latter, problems may well occur.

Canare, Belden and a few others make good quality cables. Monster are overpriced, and while Apogee are also expensive, I would happily use their cables.