How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM

Default ProTools 10 grabs files from other sessions

Hi to all

This is very weird, I’m opening a session I worked yesterday, and protools is telling me there are missing files. It goes searching, relinks them fast, but is relinking other files. Its grabbing files in other sessions, files with the same name.

For your further understanding, and I think this is the key in all this. This files I’m talking about are the correct files, but they were created in other session, meaning, when I recorded and edited everything, I consolidated all my tracks, named them(first generation files here), saved the session, closed the consolidated session. Then copy and paste the consolidated files to a new location, same external Hdd, different folder. Now thats the second generation for the same files, cmd c cmd v to different folder.

Then created a blank session, import files, i made protools COPY all files to the default “audio files” session folder. So Here I have the third generation for the files, there is actually 3 set of files in my ext hdd at this point.

So I started mixing, in this brand new session, and after a couple days, this happens. Protools one day tells me the files are missing, it goes finding them. And just relinks to the first generation files, THE FIRST!!! Not the second, not the correct third files (which again, they are in the default folder).

Whyyyyyy!?? I’m so fustrated, anyone else having this kind of troubles?

And I noticed this also happened last year, only it was on a different computer, different ext hdd, different session. But I didn’t payed too much attention to it. Because I was suspecting this had happened, I was doing all the consolidating, and copying and moving and being all too carefull and creating different sessions for mixing. For nothing!!!

Thanks for your help!

Just for the record, macbook was reseted couple months ago for this project Im working on. Fresh install for everything, new ssd, brand new interface, brand new ext hdd (lacie usb3.0)

My protools is 10, it is not hd. My osx is 10.9.5. Interface uad twin mkii. I feel I’m forgetting something...
Old 03-15-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10 grabs files from other sessions

Welcome to the community.

I've never experienced that, but I don't work like you either. I don't have multiple copies of the audio files on the same disk. Also, I wouldn't use Finder to copy the files. I'd use Save copy in... from within Pro Tools.

As to why PT suddenly "grabs" a different set of files, I have no idea. I read about a user where the file names changed slightly for some reason. "Kick Drum" changed to "KickDrum". Something along those lines.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Re: ProTools 10 grabs files from other sessions

No one else is having this issue? Really? I think you should check in your project, or I think its called workspace, they are next to each other, expand the view, check for path, or file path, order it. You might be surprised.

Like I said, this happened to me before, and actually now that I remember better, it was worse. When I cheked, I saw that files from another song were linked to my session. Meaning, I could see the files from song “A” as part of the files of song “B”. They were not on the playlist ofcourse, but they were part of the session. I was recording drums at this time, I had recorded drums for a 10 song album project. And I could see the files mixed between sessions, again not in the playlist ofcourse, but they were part of the session.

This is the reason why I started copying and organizing files like a maniac through finder instead of using “save copy in”.

And again, this happens in a different computer, different interface, different external hard drive, different project, even different city haha. The protools installer, I just download it every time from my account.

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks!