Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Default PT9 Performance?

Hello,

Has anybody been able to do any comparisons on a Mac of the performance of PT9 vs. Logic Pro 9, in terms of virtual instruments and plugins? I've seen various threads about how Logic had better / more efficient VI performance, but that was in comparison to PT8 and without any concrete data necessarily.

Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Re: PT9 Performance?

From what I understand PT9 runs about the same as PT8. Logic is very efficient and until the promised RTAS engine rewite shows up PTs not going to touch Logics performance.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
From what I understand PT9 runs about the same as PT8. Logic is very efficient and until the promised RTAS engine rewite shows up PTs not going to touch Logics performance.
I can verify this to be true. I had a Pro Tools 9 session with just one instance of Superior Drummer and a few other effects plugins. My buffer was set to 128 and Pro Tools 9 wanted me to up my buffer. This is on a Mac Pro 4 core/Apogee symphony system.

In Logic 9 I can leave my buffer at 64 and have Superior Drummer, a few more VI's, several audio tracks while recording a vocal.

I love Pro Tools 9 but I can't do serious composing/VI work with the current status of RTAS...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Wow, so PT9 seems to be fairly insufficient for composing / production work that utilizes virtual instruments in real-world practice? That is really disappointing to hear - I love some of the workflow options that PT9 provides over Logic, but like many people these days, I rely heavily on virtual instruments and ITB plugins while I compose / produce.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Pro Tools in my opinion is only good for the recording and mixing process. If you use VI's I would suggest only Logic, Reason, and/or a professional workstation like a Motif or Fantom. That's just my personal view. As for recording quality I think Pro Tools sounds way better than Logic. But a DAW is a DAW and really is only different by what a user prefers. Hell Cubase blows PT and Logic out of the water when it comes to how much resources it uses. I can't stand Cubase but I know for a fact Cubase can handle a huge load.

A lot of independents out there are beginning to make more music in Live as well. Anyways I haven't got my hands onto Pro Tools 9 yet but I would imagine it is Pro Tools 8 when it comes to performance, possibly some new errors since the coding was obviously changed, hell a PT that isn't recommended to be used on Windows XP. They must be reworking the code to utilize RAM and CPU Cores a lot better. I hear from a GearSlutz source that they are actually going to have an update that is supposed to help RTAS perform closer to TDM since CPU and RAM are so fast now a days.

A rumor is a rumor but hey I have known for 4 months that Pro Tools 9 was coming and had open interface support. Did I believe it when I heard it, even with a picture, No I didn't, so it won't surprise me if HD is phased out and it just becomes one solid program with the option to go HD cards and possibly HD Cards will unlock TDM use and more possibly recording tracks. CPTK practically gets us one step closer to the softwares being practically identical with the exception of HD Cards to speed things up and provide better latency responses.