Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Mighty Mouse and USB Overdrive

I discovered this program called USB Overdrive (www.usboverdrive.com) that allows you to convert mouse movements into keystrokes. I tried it out with my current mouse and was able to program it for Pro Tools to have the middle button cycle through Edit Tools (esc) and the right button cycle through Edit Modes (`). Very cool!

I really want to get one and I think I can justify buying a Mighty Mouse now. For example, when doing editing work I think the side buttons could be set to Nudge Left/Right (+/-), the side scrolling could be Fast Forward (1) and Rewind (2), clicking the wheel could cycle through Edit Tools (esc), and right clicking could toggle zoom (e).

Any thoughts? I'm going to get a Mighty Mouse this morning and I'll let you know how I get along. I'm hoping this will turn out to be an efficient way of working.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Mighty Mouse and USB Overdrive

I just bought a mighty mouse and I was a little disappointed to find out that the side button(s) are actually only one button. I was thinking of making these zoom in and out (left/right button) but whatever. It's also lame that the apple drivers won't let you use the buttons to perform key commands, you can only open applications. Who really wants to open applications from their mouse buttons?

On a side note I also bought a Griffin PowerMate thinking I could set it up to be a jog/shuttle wheel for ProTools. Turns out I can't figure a way to get it to work. the PowerMate only supports basic key commands and the only way to jog in PT with key commands anyway is with "Shuttle-lock" (which is a retarded system to begin with). Even if I could set up the PowerMate to use the right key command for shuttle lock, it would only ever shuttle at one speed, no smooth acceleration or variable speeds.

Anyway, anybody know of a simple jog wheel that works with ProTools LE? thanks alot digi for leaving out something so obvious from the 002 (they even left out a save button!)
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 AM

I think this might be what you need -bit late now if you've already spent money on the Mighty Mouse ( bit of a non-starter that Mighty Mouse )

Contour Shuttle Pro

has multi buttons , 13 in all, totally programmable for each application, plus jog & shuttle ( which Digi forgot to add to the 002 !!!)

In the UK it costs around £70 sterling. More than Mighty Mouse, but you get more options, and works with any application.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 AM

I use a Power Mate with PTLE but perhaps not the way you have in mind.

click: play/stop
long click: record
right: move selection right
left: move selection left
push/right: move cursor to end of selection
push/left: move cursor to beginning of selection

big timesaver for me.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:26 PM

You'll find the Contour Designs Shuttle Xpress has a jog wheel, customizable 5 buttons, and works great with Pro Tools, Peak, iMovie, etc. They're about $40 new even on eBay. I've had one for 2 years and it's great for me.

I also have a mighty mouse and the ball on top is sweet! Really well done. Having the side buttons be the same button isn't a big deal, since it's a hard squeeze to activate, so have that set to F11 instead of doing the keystroke.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 09-02-2005, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I just bought a mighty mouse and I was a little disappointed to find out that the side button(s) are actually only one button. I was thinking of making these zoom in and out (left/right button) but whatever. It's also lame that the apple drivers won't let you use the buttons to perform key commands, you can only open applications. Who really wants to open applications from their mouse buttons?

USB Overdrive converts mouse clicks into key commands!

And yeah btw, I hated the Mighty Mouse and took it back to the store an hour after I got it. Not comfortable to use and having the side buttons being only one button is lame.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:55 AM

Mighty Mouse rocks for Pro Tools scrolling (in my opinion).

I am extremely happy with it and two of my engineer friends are thrilled as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Well I returned the PowerMate, it was pretty flakey and reacted very slow. Also the developer support was completely lame! The Mighty Mouse is working great though, the only criticism I have is the scroll ball could be a bit bigger and less touchy, its also positioned a bit far back on the mouse, for my hand anyway. It's great though once you get used to it. USB Overdrive is fabulous too! Apple should buy them out and put their name on it instead of the lame driver they came up with...
Old 09-11-2005, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Mighty Mouse rocks for Pro Tools scrolling (in my opinion).

I am extremely happy with it and two of my engineer friends are thrilled as well.
A friend gave me a Mighty Mouse a couple of days ago and man, yeah, it rocks. It really speeds up the editing process in PTLE by a lot!