Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Losing Key Command Ability

Ever since I've been using Pro Tools 6, every once in a while I lose the ability to use key commands. It can be anything from a cmd e to a copy or paste to a fade. I am running a G4 single 800 with an HD3 system on OS 10.3.2. Has anybody else experienced this? I have done all the usual trashing prefs, etc...

Thanks,

Kevin Nettleingham
Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Losing Key Command Ability

I also get this every now and then & can't seem to account for why. It's happened with a mix system & an HD, so definitely is software related.

Joel

PT 6.1
Mac 1.25
HD
Old 12-21-2003, 11:53 PM

I once lost some keyboard functions, OSX / PT 6.1. Turns out I had activated Universal Access in Sys Prefs. Some system prefs can be changed or activated by pressing certain keys a number of times. There's a box to check (or uncheck) in the Universal Access dialog ..."Allow Unversal Access Shortcuts". Don't. Hope that helps.

|
Old 12-22-2003, 05:33 PM

I believe this is a Waves bug where if you don't hit return or esc after entering a value or moving a fader before leaving a waves tdm or AS plug in, it holds on to the keyboard. Very nasty,
If you find that is your experience also please let them know as they seem to be slow at fixing this.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:47 AM

I'm familiar with the Waves problem. Actually, I don't think that's a bug, I believe that is the way Waves intends their plug-ins to operate. This is a little different. The key commands just stop working. They are grayed out in the menu bar too. This morning I stumbled upon a workaround. If you have another program open and bring it to the active foreground and then go back to Pro Tools, the key commands start working again. PITA but at least I don't have to quit and restart Pro Tools anymore. Hopefully Digi will fix this bug soon.

Kevin Nettleingham
Old 12-24-2003, 08:00 AM

I see this happen also on my HD2 rig from time to time. Sometimes, if I just perform a save, <cmd-s>, they become available again.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:29 AM

The waves thing IS a bug : it should let go of the keyboard when the plug window is closed-
and it does not always do so. It should only grab the keys when its window is active.
The waves thing also causes the commands to be greyed out.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:46 PM

For anyone who hasn't noticed, if you click on the frame area around the "Load/save" area of a Waves plug window, it will release control of the keyboard.

I also think Waves intends their plugs to work this way. I wish they would change it, it seems so presumptious. This should be a user choice that defaults to "off".
Old 12-25-2003, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The waves thing IS a bug : it should let go of the keyboard when the plug window is closed-
I haven't experienced that. It only happens to me when the plug-in window is open. Anyway, the workaround I mentioned is doing fine for now...

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 AM

This thing happens to me also, but not with only Waves open. It can be anytime during a session, but the strange thing is when I go to drop down "Edit" menu to apply the command manually I see them grayed out. Go back to edit window and viola, key commands are back.

It seems to me a bug-like thing
(I did the trash prefs etc. thing recently)
Glyph Firewires
Motu MTP AV USB