Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Default FMR RNC\'s

I'd like to hear some opinions on these units. A stereo compressor for $180? Crazy! All the reviews I've read online have been great, but I'd like to hear from some people on this board.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Re: FMR RNC\'s

Both the RNC and the RNP are xcellent units, sounding much better than their pricetag would suggest.

I see you link ot AA, did you you my dear freind Johnny Mo?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the opinion. It seems to be shared by everyone! I think I'll have to place an order. Btw, 8th Street (.com) has a package w/ two RNC's and a rack tray for $380 (free ground shipping).

No, I didn't know Mo. I've only been working for AA since last July and I never crossed paths w/ him. I heard the story though. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:18 AM

I really really love the rnc for what it is and how much it costs...I also have an Amek 9098 2 channel compressor/limiter and though I usually go for it first I totally love the quality of the rnc...For $180 I cant believe how good it is...I sometimes wonder when the price of these units will go up? I'm thinking of picking up 3 or four more units for my drum tracking...What the hell, and why not....Go get one...You'll love it...Though I must sat also that I've also owned the art tube vla compressor limiter and I really enjoyed that unit also...Gives you that tube sound...But at the same time not that ART sound...You know what I"m saying....

Peace!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 AM

I've always heard really good things about the RNC. Most people think they are great and probably the best compressor you'll find anywhere for this kind of money.

I'd like to know if anyone has used the RNP. I'm thinking of getting an RNC with the RNP to use for an affordable tracking preamp/channel strip processing (at least that's what I think they call it) for my project studio. Any opinions? Would anyone recommend this over say a Focusrite Penta or is there something else?

sean
-Digi002
-ProTools 9
-OS 10.5.x
Old 01-20-2004, 08:20 AM

The only down sides IMHO to the RNC are that it is a stereo comp, not dual mono linkable, and the i/o are unbalanced. You cannot use the RNC for two different (ie one for kick and one for snare) sources. Combining it with the RNP you end up with an unbalanced chain, since the i/o of the RNC is unbalanced. However if you keep your cable length to 15 feet or less this is not a major deal.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Combining it with the RNP you end up with an unbalanced chain, since the i/o of the RNC is unbalanced.
Nope. If you use the RNP's inserts, you "balance" the RNC...that's one of the features of the RNP/RNC combo - Mark McQ makes that pretty clear in the RNP manual.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 AM

RNC IS GREAT!!!

regs
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 AM

could someone tell me why you would need multiple RNC's?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
could someone tell me why you would need multiple RNC's?
In case you want a dual-mono RNC setup. Like Where said, the RNC's are single-mono/stereo comps only, not dual-mono. So - if you want one RNC on lead vox and another on trumpet, you've got to have two of them (unless you want the vox and trumpet triggering each other's compression - which would be somewhat odd, but then you can get away with one RNC).

Beyond that, multiple channels of compression are often needed during tracking and/or mixdown...so with the RNC being so affordable (and great-sounding), many project/budget studios are outfitted with two, three, four, or more RNC's.

Oh yeah - it's also cool to gang compressors inline (doing different things to the incoming signal)...so multiple RNC's would come in handy there.