How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2022, 06:59 AM

Default Waves v14 for upcoming PT Apple Silicon Native info

Hi all,

I thought I would share this with you all in case anyone else is in a similar situation as I am with the Waves update plan.

I have a number of Waves plugins (v14) with an update plan due to expire in about a week. Waves previously introduced native Apple Silicon support (I think in v14, maybe 13) and since the upcoming Pro Tools release is anticipated to also support Apple Silicon natively I was concerned that I'd need to pay for the WUP once again just to use these plugins natively.

I contacted Waves support and they tell me that v14 plugins will run natively in Pro Tools once PT is updated for Apple Silicon, and no additional update will be needed for them to work. A rare and unexpected example of good news regarding the Waves update plan!
Old 11-08-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Waves v14 for upcoming PT Apple Silicon Native info

Waves has yet to release Universal Binary AAX versions of their plugins. Whether they release them by the time a Universal Pro Tools is released is unknown at this time.

Waves currently has AU and VST versions of their plug that will run natively on Silicon Macs in other DAWs. Just not in Pro Tools.

What Waves support told you is incorrect. Their tech support is giving out bad information. Sorry to counter your hopefully good news.

Whether or not Waves releases Universal AAX plugs under v14 as a free release is also unknown at this point. Hopefully they won’t make people pay for AAX version of plugs that are already Universal in other formats.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:26 AM

Honestly what you say makes more sense than what Waves support told me. I'll follow up with them again to clarify but I suspect you're correct. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-08-2022, 07:31 AM

If you go back to ask them I suggest you be very specific about AAX versions. Not just a general v14 question. They are being vague around the issue and are replying with a blanket “Waves v14 plugins are currently supported on Apple Silicon”. Which isn’t a lie, it’s just not a full disclosure.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:00 AM

I was pretty clear with them before, but just chatted with them again to clarify. They are being a bit vague in some respects but essentially told me the same thing this time.

ME: "....I'm trying to find out if my current v14 Waves AAX plugins will run natively in the upcoming Apple silicon native Pro Tools release."

WAVES: "Yes because the native silicon support for Waves is already there. When Pro Tools runs natively your Waves plugins will also run natively"

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I guess time will tell
Old 11-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Also just a note, I found out the hard way WUP does not work like Avid's Update and Support plan. With Avid if it lapses you are at least able to access the most recent version at the license expiration.

With Waves I had WUP'd to V13 but kept my system on V12 because I hate updating.... When I finally went to do it WUP was expired and I could not access V13. Waves support told me you have to "Upgrade" the plugins in the Waves Manager manually while you are under WUP. Once it expires you are no longer able to do so. In my case since it had just lapsed they performed the upgrade for me. I never knew this.

FYI
Old 11-09-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Also just a note, I found out the hard way WUP does not work like Avid's Update and Support plan. With Avid if it lapses you are at least able to access the most recent version at the license expiration.

With Waves I had WUP'd to V13 but kept my system on V12 because I hate updating.... When I finally went to do it WUP was expired and I could not access V13. Waves support told me you have to "Upgrade" the plugins in the Waves Manager manually while you are under WUP. Once it expires you are no longer able to do so. In my case since it had just lapsed they performed the upgrade for me. I never knew this.

FYI
If you have V14 licences then they should show in Waves Central. If the licences show there you can instal the plugs any time. It's been like this forever and Waves confirmed to me the Central is not liked to WUP.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

FYI
That reminds me of my relationship with Izotope: "I'll pay not to have to go to the next version of RX. I'll even pay extra if you'd just keep supporting RX7 on Monterey!"
Old 11-10-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
That reminds me of my relationship with Izotope: "I'll pay not to have to go to the next version of RX. I'll even pay extra if you'd just keep supporting RX7 on Monterey!"
Old 11-10-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
If you have V14 licences then they should show in Waves Central. If the licences show there you can instal the plugs any time. It's been like this forever and Waves confirmed to me the Central is not liked to WUP.
Right but to get those V14 licenses from V13 you have to sign in and perform an update or upgrade, I forget what they call it. While WUP is active. That's how they explained it to me when I was trying to go to V13.