Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-11-2001, 09:30 AM

Default Off T: iMovie to Quicktime trouble. Help needed!!

I'm working on a short movie at home. The director gave me a DV tape and a camera so that I could capture the movie via firewire.
Not being a real editing softwares expert, I thought I would avoid using FCP this time (I had previous "bad" experiences using it as a capture and export soft.) and decided to use i Movie.
Capturing DV into iMovie worked fine (and easily) but I'm experiencing trouble exporting to Quicktime (for use in PT).

Here's the deal: while capturing , iMovie created two bins (the movie is about 16mn30" long; iMovie automaticaly created one 9'30"bin and one 7'00"bin; I was told this was normal). When capture was over, I took the 2 bins, put them on the timeline-edit track and then exported the result as Quicktime movie (full screen). I imported the resulting movie in PT and begun working with no problem.
Today, as I was reaching "TC" : 9'30", I realized with terror that the last 7 minutes (corresponding to the 2nd bin in iMovie) were all screwed up (huge colored pixels moving on screen...pretty ugly).
I thought this was a PT related problem and tried to read the Quicktime Movie in Quicktime Player. At 9'30", BANG !...my G4 crashed and I had to restart. Trying the same thing a second time, it didn't crash but there was just black after 9'30"...
I decided to redo the iMovie to Quicktime export. When trying this new exported file , I got black in PT and white in Quicktime(!!?...), still at the same time (9'30")...
So I'm wondering...Am I missing something? In iMovie, I don't see any "consolidates bins" feature or anything like that, so I guess the film should be exportable like that (with the two bins in the timeline).
I can read the whole film in iMovie with no problem, it's really the export process that is messing things up. It makes the second bin unreadable. I don't have the DV tape anymore (but anyway, since the sequence is totally readable in iMovie, I don't think the problem comes from the capture process).
I have iMovie 2.0.3 and Quicktime 4.1.2.
G4/667, OS9.1. PT's audio is on IBM ATA and video is on SCSI UW drive.

Any (quick!!!) help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Off T: iMovie to Quicktime trouble. Help needed!!

Come on guys, I've been a good boy, I've answered many posts and helped (at least tried to help) many people in here.
Don't let me down on this one !
Please...
Old 11-12-2001, 11:16 AM

T

What are your codec, compression, size settings when you export to quicktime?

Psax
Old 11-12-2001, 11:47 AM

I don't know mr t, havnt had that problem, it sounds simple enough. maybe you need to export to DV stream rather than to QT movie. Then import the resulting streamed Dv file back into Imovie for further editing. i used a similar technique to get a short looping movie to loop many times before truly looping, if you get my drift.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:17 PM

Hi Psax,
Codec is Cinepak, no compression and size is 750x576.
New infos came out: a friend of mine tried a similar export for me->iMove (with several bins) to Quicktime. He didn't have any problem playing it in Quicktime player. He uses the same versions of QT and iMovie I have along with a G4/400.
I'm beginning to think that Quicktime or iMovie got screwed up last month when I experienced major trouble using Conflict Catcher (is this s**t never gonna end?! One month, and I still reguraly discover different app° that got screwed up at this time...).
Thanks for the replies.
Any other ideas welcomed.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:25 PM

MR. T

I have no Idea, have you tried imprting the video into FCP, and then exporting from there? I know you didn't want to drag out the FCP, but it may help you out? Or try www.2-pop.com to see if you can find someone who knows of a bug/ settings issue ?!?!?!
Old 11-12-2001, 03:39 PM

Hi Kris, sounds like we were on the DUC almost at the same time...
The problem is I don't have the camera or the tape anymore and I don't think I can export from iMovie to FCP(?...).
Old 11-13-2001, 01:00 AM

you can't just save it as a qt or mov file and import into FCP?
Old 11-13-2001, 08:11 AM

Go to save it as a DV file or Dv stream, for FCP and for I movie too. One of those two.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm actually downloading QT5 and iMovie2 to see if it works better...If not, I'll try your tips.
Thanks again for not letting me down !