Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-27-2000, 09:57 PM

Default Referencing Movie Bummer

It is happening. The Digital Feature cut on a FCP sytem and not going to film. This means I'll have to make a long feature-length QT movie for PT. The only way I can do this is to link several captures in Premiere and do a "Referencing Movie" which links the files. The problem is I can't get the construction window in Premiere 4.2 to get longer than 1 hour!! Never been a problem before because I've done films, which are laid out in reels not -so-long. But this is bugging me. There's got to be a way to do this! My capture hardware is a Miro DC20. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
COCO
Old 12-28-2000, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Referencing Movie Bummer

Update: I made a long ref. movie by copying separate captures into the construction window as a group, not one clip at a time. The Construction Window did not expand, but Premiere seems to allow this. Video past 1 hour is not editable, however. I then selected the output "entire project" function under "output." Unfortunately, the trims I made to the individual clips to make a seamless edit did not translate, so the result is a ref. movie of the entire clips' lengths. Next I'll try trimming and making new files of the clips to the correct lengths, and make a ref movie from those. Time consuming. I hope this works, any suggestions will be appreciated.

-COCO

[This message has been edited by COCO (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old 12-28-2000, 08:44 AM

I do this all the time, but I would never attempt to do it in Premiere. Use QTPro it is so simple, once you get used to the interface. You can find the key commands at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resou...s/scShrtct.htm
Old 12-28-2000, 11:02 AM

Hi COCO,

I am using DC 20, too. Just capture the movie in parts as usual. Then copy and paste them together in Apple Movie Player. Import the first part to Pro Tools. It works.
Old 12-28-2000, 04:15 PM

Coco,
Are you sure you want to work on 1 hour reel? You may end up with a huge session, which could take ages to load, write automation, save, etc. It is a good practice to divide a film into 20 min (approx 2000ft 35mm) reels. Film dubbing theatres are used to this length.
Branko
Old 12-28-2000, 08:48 PM

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. Jim: I can't use QT Pro, I have to use QT2.5; because of the dc20. Pietari: That's what I need, but my version of Apple Movie Player doesn't do it. What version do u use for this? Branco: You're absolutely right, in my opinion. But if the film maker is intent on doing this, I must do what I must. Like I said, never did this before.

-COCO
Old 12-29-2000, 09:26 AM

I am working on my first FCP-direct-to-screen mix now. I can't get the Premiere thing to work at all, but I am going to try the QT Pro approach Tuesday. What I have ben dong, is just printing burn in when I digitize (Dc30+) and the omproting a new movie when I want to work o a differnt section. Since i know what frame the clip starts at i just spot the movie there and go on. Or drag with the SMPTE ruler in grid mode. A little kludgy but totally workable.Of course 5.1 will fix all of this, right?
Old 12-29-2000, 10:52 AM

HMMMM... Another update: I made a referencing movie in Premiere with pre trimmed clips (rendered to length with DC- 20 compression) and it runs in PT. HOWEVER, when it comes to the junction or edit between two clips, PT stops for a few moments and begins playing again. That's kinda crappy. If I can manage to make this edit in QT movie player, will this be solved?

John a: that seems like a workaround, but a real pita. Also makes reference laybacks to videotape impossible. Pietari, any word on QT Movie Player?
Thanks again,
COCO
Old 12-29-2000, 02:41 PM

Yeah, I have to do reference laybacks by locking to Beta video. But I ask for a Beta tape all the time anyway- I upload my reference audio from it while resolved and locked to code. i have had some wierdness with long CP audio files not always maintaining sync, so I like to have a real reference if possible.
Old 12-30-2000, 01:17 AM

COCO,

I forgot to check it today at work. Sorry. I am using Mac OS 8.6 with QT 2.5 but I have at least two versions of MoviePlayers (2.5 and 3.0) in my computer. I can check which one works next Tuesday, if it helps.