Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 PM

Default PTLE 6.7 and older PT sessions

I had originally upgraded from 5.2 to 6.4 when I got my 002R and had tested loading 5.3 sessions into 6.4 and had no problems. I also moved from a G4 to my dual G5. I did the 6.4 to 6.7 upgrade a couple of months ago without any further thought of backwards compatibility.

Well, I had a really bad day today: A client who had me master a CD of his last year came in and wanted to redo a couple of edits on the CD. "No problem", I said.

However, it appears that 6.7 doesn't recognize my old 5.2 sessions, whereas 6.4 did. Did I miss something? Was this documented somewhere? I'm SOL with this client if I can't open my 5.2 sessions (which I copied to a USB backup drive some months ago).

Did something go wrong in the file transfer to the external drive, from OS9 to OSX, or does 6.7 really not recognize those sessions?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: PTLE 6.7 and older PT sessions

6.7 should be able to open all previous sessions. Check the session file integrity.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
6.7 should be able to open all previous sessions.
Definitely should, and pro Tools 5.1 and later should be able to open a Pro Tools 6.x session.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/session.cfm

Try creating a new session on your mac, and use the File > Import Session Data command to copy the contents of the original session, including all audio files.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 PM

First, I got it working as everyone above said it should. The PTLE 5.2.2 files opened up just fine in 6.7 - the first time asking me about the different i/o (001 vs 002), the +6 vs +12, the i/o setup, and the file locations. Those kinds of things would be expected.

However, someone else may run into this so I thought I'd share it.

1. I had copied my G4/OS9 PTLE 5.2.2 files onto an external Maxtor hard drive connected via USB 1.1 which had been formatted with OS9. I tested the transfer by simply loading the session from the (too slow) external drive and at least the session loaded fine: The G4 could read the files back and run them in PTLE just fine.
2. I take the external drive and plug it into the G5/OSX Mac, mount the disk and copy the files to a partition on the OSX drive. OSX then ONLY recognizes the PTLE session file as a "Unix Executable File" and has a black icon attached to the session file. The sdii files in the "Audio Files" folder also come across with a black icon instead of the iTunes icon. Pretty weird, huh? I don't know why, and it's repeatable as I did it twice. Maybe it's something with the USB 1.1 protocol? or maybe something to do with the G4 or G5 USB chipset?

How I got it to work just fine was to network the two Macs with a standard Cat 5 Ethernet cable and Appletalk. I turned file sharing on with the G4 and mounted the G4 hard drive on my G5 desktop and copied the files directly to my G5 partition. No muss, no fuss. I REALLY wish I had known it was this easy.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.