Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-04-2022, 06:22 AM

Default No Signal Showing in Aux Track Meter

I have a general question in regard to Aux Input tracks. I have never had a problem using Auxes and routing signal via a bus for FX processing. I've been working with a Pro Tools beginner to get his sessions/tracks ready for print. He's at the point where he'd like to apply some FX. We have encountered an issue whereby when trying to get any signal to the aux channel via a normal send and see the meter acknowledge its presence, no signal is seen on the aux track's meter and no signal is seen in the plugin. A signal is clearly seen in the send's level meter. The Aux track input is set properly to the bus identified in the send of the sending track. This is unique to a particular session and not experienced on other sessions. My question is this: what possible settings could have been modified or what conditions may exist that would make this problem occur?

The user has an iMac (not sure OS version), PT 2021 (not sure of minor version) and an Apollo 16 channel interface. As stated above, all other sessions experience no issues when using aux tracks and FX. Not being directly on site I don't know if PRE is selected on the send. All rules on solo-safe have been adhered to.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:10 AM

Default Re: No Signal Showing in Aux Track Meter

Is it possible that there are 2 different busses with the same name in the IO Setup? Does this still happen if you pick a different bus than the one you are currently for the send and Aux input? Does the signal pass through the Aux if the plugin is deactivated (not bypassed)?
Old 08-04-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Is it possible that there are 2 different busses with the same name in the IO Setup? Does this still happen if you pick a different bus than the one you are currently for the send and Aux input? Does the signal pass through the Aux if the plugin is deactivated (not bypassed)?
Thanks, but not sure. I'll look closer at the IO settings for the buses. Will take a look today when I'm at their studio. I did remove the plugin completely to see if it was the problem, and still no signal. So it may be a bus name conflict.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
Thanks, but not sure. I'll look closer at the IO settings for the buses. Will take a look today when I'm at their studio. I did remove the plugin completely to see if it was the problem, and still no signal. So it may be a bus name conflict.
That seems likely. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
That seems likely. Good luck!
Bus naming collision was not the problem. What I found was that if the Track Input Monitor button was engaged on the Aux track, a signal was detected on the Aux track and the plugin on the Aux track became audible.

The only other condition I can think of (which has yet to make sense to me) is that all audio tracks have been soloed. The client had a conversation with a prominent engineer who indicated that soloing all tracks reroutes the the tracks' outputs directly to the master bus and bypasses the mix bus. The claim is that everything sounds better. I can't confirm or deny that that's true. But if tracks are bypassing the mix bus does that affect any track that may send a signal to an Aux track? If anyone has an answer to that, I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:31 AM

I’ll let someone else tackle the idea that soloing all the tracks makes a digital signal sound ‘better’, which sounds like some kind of misunderstanding on your clients behalf, but my immediate take on your problem is that Aux tracks do not have Input Monitor buttons - so what it sounds like you have done is routed the send to an Audio track, that would naturally need to be either Input Monitored or Record Armed for any signal to enter it.

Dedicated Aux tracks are always ‘armed’, so don’t require Input Monitoring.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
Bus naming collision was not the problem. What I found was that if the Track Input Monitor button was engaged on the Aux track, a signal was detected on the Aux track and the plugin on the Aux track became audible.

The only other condition I can think of (which has yet to make sense to me) is that all audio tracks have been soloed. The client had a conversation with a prominent engineer who indicated that soloing all tracks reroutes the the tracks' outputs directly to the master bus and bypasses the mix bus. The claim is that everything sounds better. I can't confirm or deny that that's true. But if tracks are bypassing the mix bus does that affect any track that may send a signal to an Aux track? If anyone has an answer to that, I would really appreciate it.
Aux Tracks do not have Input Monitor buttons. You most likely created an Audio Track as the FX return track.

That claim about soloing is not true. A solo’d tracks still follow that tracks output assignment. If you have a send from the solo track going to an Aux Track for effects then the Aux Tracks needs to be solo safed. Same rule applies for mix busses.