Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Default Mic signal problem

I only get a mic signal when the gain knob is cranked nearly all the way up (002 Rack). None of my mics require phantom power, but I've got the phantom power button in the back pushed in just in case (either way, still having the same problem). It's happening with all my mic ins.

This isn't something that used to happen, I'm concerned it's a problem with my 002. I'm connecting the mics with XLR cables, no quarter inch. One weird thing I've noticed has to do with my headphones, which are plugged in with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. When I fiddle with the headphone plug, it seems to affect the mic level. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) sharing your thoughts.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Mic signal problem

Are mic/line selector switches of the 002 set to mic? Also, if your mics have pads, check to see that they are not engaged either.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
Are mic/line selector switches of the 002 set to mic? Also, if your mics have pads, check to see that they are not engaged either.
Yeah, the mic/line selector switches are set to mic, sorry I didn't mention that. The mics I've been using don't have pads, either. Thanks for replying, though.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemalyoung View Post
When I fiddle with the headphone plug, it seems to affect the mic level.
That part is definitely weird. I can't say that I know why this would happen, but what is it doing to the signal? Boosting? Cutting? If you leave the headphones unplugged, are you getting a better signal?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That part is definitely weird. I can't say that I know why this would happen, but what is it doing to the signal? Boosting? Cutting? If you leave the headphones unplugged, are you getting a better signal?
Yeah, it's weird. The sound crackles and fluctuates between stereo and mono. When the headphones are unplugged, the mic signal is just as low as when they're plugged in.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Have you tried different XLR cables on the mics?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Have you tried different XLR cables on the mics?
No, that I haven't tried yet. I'm at work, so will have to try that this evening. Hopefully that'll do it. Thanks for thinking of that.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

I did a quick search and it seems that a few years ago a problem like this cropped up. I wasn't able to find any specific solutions though. I think the best things for you to try now would be to trash your prefs/databases (THIS tool is good for that) and take a look at the General Troubleshooting page HERE. It probably wouldn't hurt to try doing a Repair Permissions through Disk Utility as well. You could also try power cycling the 002 and see if that helps (turn it off and pull the power plug out for a min). I saw in a post that came up in the search where DigiTechSupport suggested to someone with this problem to create a new admin account, log in to that and see if problem persists.

Lastly, in your next post, it would help if you list some system specs (computer, OS, hard drive you're using, etc). The list of stuff you should post can be found in the link to the General Troubleshooting page I gave you a link to.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I did a quick search and it seems that a few years ago a problem like this cropped up. I wasn't able to find any specific solutions though. I think the best things for you to try now would be to trash your prefs/databases (THIS tool is good for that) and take a look at the General Troubleshooting page HERE. It probably wouldn't hurt to try doing a Repair Permissions through Disk Utility as well. You could also try power cycling the 002 and see if that helps (turn it off and pull the power plug out for a min). I saw in a post that came up in the search where DigiTechSupport suggested to someone with this problem to create a new admin account, log in to that and see if problem persists.

Lastly, in your next post, it would help if you list some system specs (computer, OS, hard drive you're using, etc). The list of stuff you should post can be found in the link to the General Troubleshooting page I gave you a link to.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
Thank you so much for taking the time to list all these ideas! Sorry about not providing specs, I'll have to double-check when I get back to my workstation (not sure which OS 10.5 version I am on, etc).

I'll try everything you suggested. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM

No problem, hope something there works. And to ammend my last post, the link that shows the info you should post is actually HERE.