Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Default A Very Strange Sound Problem

Hi
I was wondering if one of you tech wizzards could spare me a little time with a problem im having.

My pro tools (le 8) is working 100 percent fine but any other sound is disabled. If i go on youtube (for example) no sound, Cd drives or DVDs no sound. I also have Guitar pro 5, before i installed the mbox and pro tools all the crappy midi i could stomach. Now no sound. In my control panel it says theres no sound device. Ive tried downloading new drivers and all the normal stuff. Its so strange its like pro tools is jealous of other sounds and will only let me play sound through its programme. I love pro tools but im getting tired of its green streek. Could somebody please help me i fear its the easiest thing to fix but im just not schooled in these kind of things. Oh i should point out that it was all working fine untill a installed pro tools.

Thanks for your time

MillyMan
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Re: A Very Strange Sound Problem

It's not quite clear, but it sounds like you maybe didn't install the CoreAudio drivers for your Mbox. You might want to run the latest version of your installer again and make sure that the CoreAudio option is checked, that will allow you to play the rest of your sounds through your Mbox.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

You know what my friend i think you may be right:) Pro tools came with 2 discs and i only used one because the other had loops and such and i have plenty so i thought i didnt need it but ill bet my bottom dollar that the drivers are found on that disc.

Fingers crossed.

And thank you so much for taking the time

MillyMan
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm on 8.0 LE and if ProTools is open, then I get no other audio from other sources-

If I don't power up my 002R when I boot up (which also means the monitors) ...even if I'm not going to open up ProTools... I get no sound out of the monitors

If I've powered up the 002R and monitors when I booted the Mac, I can listen to CD's, Youtube, i-tunes, etc. If i-tunes is open, or if I've viewed or listened to anything streaming, ProTools will not launch without first closing all the other programs (including core-audio)

it's kind of a PITA, but as long as I remember the "steps" things do work