Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Default tascam 1884 'retired' now what surround monitor control

I'd been using a tascam FW1884 as interface /surround monitor control in one room for about 8 9 years...

its decided to retire.. ( lasted almost as long as my mackie HUI ! )

I am running protools 10 (CPTK ) natively on a MOTU interface I also have.. but no monitor control..

any affordable recommendations ( my mons are self powered Yamaha MSP 10 studio )

thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Re: tascam 1884 'retired' now what surround monitor control

I don't know that there's any inexpensive monitor controls for surround.

It may be cheaper to just get a new interface that allows the volume knob to be assigned to multiple outputs (for this very purpose).

The Focusrite Saffire Pro 56 and 40, and Scarlett 18i20 (the usb version of the Pro 40) would be pretty inexpensive. The Mbox 3 Pro does it as well, but that's more expensive because it's bundled with Protools software (but if you were gonna upgrade anyway, then it might be a good value).

All of these allow you to assign the volume knob and monitor control to various configurations like stereo, 5.1, 7.1 (if it has enough outputs), etc.

I know it may seem weird to pay for features you don't need, but I don't know if there's any dedicated surround monitor controllers that are under $500 anyway.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM

2 birds one stone

actually I am thinking about a new pre amp - so this might be the 'thing to get'

any experience with PT and a USB interface like this? or if I go firewire will it screw with my DV deck?

thanx :)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM

USB has come a long way in the last few years. Performance of newer usb interfaces is pretty much on par with firewire. The USB based Scarlett 18i20 seems like a great unit, and firewire is on its way out. By going usb on your interface, you can keep it off the same buss as your firewire devices.

There's a thread on Gearslutz about this unit, and people seem very happy with it, both function and sound quality. As for recording, it's been confirmed that it goes down to a buffer of 32, which is very low latency if you want to track with plugins.

If your computer has issues at low buffers, all the Focusrite units also have a very well thought out software for low latency monitoring called Mix Control. It's very flexible and versatile.

For the drivers and Mix control software, it appears that you need to be on Lion or Mountain Lion, but that shouldn't be a big deal to upgrade from Snow Leopard.

I did notice your computer is pretty old. Even the cheapest Mac Mini will blow away what you have in processing power. You might think about upgrading the computer as well.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM

timely advice - I am really thinking about majot changes at this point... want to re do a small edit suite and it must be said the mac pro is a space hog!

as well as a 'hummer'

need to read up in the on macmini - havent looked at any new kit in a while...

will it support 2 x 24 inch displays?

is it a noisy little thing? imagine they get quite hot?? so an enclosure in order?

to be honest the macpro is still workin for me.. I dont do much in the way of virtual instruments.. jus use reason and the DAW with audiofinder..
Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 AM

If looking for a USB interface and monitor controller in the same unit, I would recommend either the Audient ID22 or the new SPL Crimson which will be out soon. These are stereo only monitor controllers though.

If going to simple monitor control SM Pro Audio offers affordable solutions in both stereo and 5.1. SPL also has some good options.

Going up on the scale, Dangerous Music, Audient, Crane Song and Grace Design offer very flexible solutions in 5.1 although a bit more expensive.

If you really need 5.1 moitoring, I would suggest buying an interface for PT and a separate monitor controller, that gives you more choices and flexibility.

If only stereo and on a budget, the first USB/Interface combos I suggested are great too.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM

AFAIK if you get a Mac mini or iMac you can use the HDMI for 8-channel output. Connect that to a surround processor with HDMI in and preamp outs.
for example:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

I have not tested such a setup but If I would need an output-only edit system I would probably not buy an interface