Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-27-2022, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

+1. Thanks Jeffro.
You must be consuming gallons of coffee. Try this one.
You'll clean up this entire forum overnight.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:44 PM

+1 Thanks to Jeffro!

Ever helpful and patient with us.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Looking for the "Advanced audio post toolset" details too..!!
Probably the field recorder matching
Old 04-27-2022, 03:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
they’ve massively hiked prices in some cases when genuine new features have been constricted (especially for Ultimate)

Now you’re here to stay, grateful for your thoughts on this, Chris.

Hi NoiseBoyUK,

I'll definitely answer anything I can... Could you be specific as to which features are constricted? The more detail you're able to give me, the better I'll promise to do in answering you.

Many thanks,
Old 04-27-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Looking for the "Advanced audio post toolset" details too..!!
This is things like (these are Ultimate only preferences):
• Back/Forward Amount (Pro Tools Ultimate only)
• DestructivePunch File Length (Pro Tools Ultimate only)
• Clip Auto Fade In/Out Length (Pro Tools Ultimate only)

Field Recorder Guide Track (Audio Tracks on Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
Multiple Video Tracks in the Timeline (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
Multiple Video Track Playlists (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
Multiple Codecs on an Individual Video Track (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
Export Selected Tracks to project: Sequence in Production Management (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
PEC/Direct Style Input Monitoring
Solo modes (there are advanced solo modes: latch, momentary, temp latch in momentary)

Digital Dubber stuff:
Audio Track RecordLock (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)
Transport RecordLock (Pro Tools Ultimate Only)

A bunch of media import stuff to work with Media Composer.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Say what now...? I am using HD Native and don't use Flex. It works fine. What's this about HD Native users needing Flex?
One NEEDS Ultimate with any DigiLink interface. If you don’t already have a Perpetual license for Ultimate with an active support plan, you would need to re-up your support plan or get on a Flex subscription. New Perpetual licenses are no longer available from Avid. There is no longer an Ultimate subscription, only Flex.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:27 PM

As I wait for some dust to settle here, I have one very basic question: why is this thread about Pro Tools 2022.4 located within the DUC's Pro Tools 2021 folder? Can't Avid afford a new folder for Pro Tools 2022?
Old 04-27-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawnWilliams View Post
As I wait for some dust to settle here, I have one very basic question: why is this thread about Pro Tools 2022.4 located within the DUC's Pro Tools 2021 folder? Can't Avid afford a new folder for Pro Tools 2022?
Great question! We're discussing that before making changes since last time we (okay... I) made a new subforum for 2021 it seemed to cause a bit of stress. Feel free to add your perspective to https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419745 - thanks!
Old 04-28-2022, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBové View Post
I'll definitely answer anything I can... Could you be specific as to which features are constricted? The more detail you're able to give me, the better I'll promise to do in answering you.

Many thanks,
For Ultimate users, there have been very few new features now for some time - folder tracks was the last that was significant. This release - typically the spring release has been the big one - has just search and key command customisation, the latter is welcome but pretty small-fry. The longed-for main features are absent. A good example would be folders in the clip bin, which I believe has been the number one requested feature for over a decade - possibly two. Where is it? And then there’s M1 support. M1 has been out for two years now. EDIT - and ARA.

And although we have increases in the track count for Aux and Master tracks (which I doubt many will need) there is an inexplicable limit on MIDI tracks to 1024. Far more than most need of course, except professional composers with large VE Pro templates. That’s a whole market you are missing, and it’s presumably one line of code to change - make it unlimited like literally everyone else. Every other full-featured DAW is unlimited on all major track counts.

You are sending a clear message - we are still limiting Ultimate artificially. And charging you $400 a year as a virtual tax on perpetual holders with penalties if you don’t pay up, $1000 a year for subscribers, up by $200 in a single year. And don’t get me started on withholding perpetual from new customers.

The war in Ukraine puts a different slant on it, but if you want us to accept less this year, reduce, not put up, the prices.

For Studio, things are rosier - a significant number of new features that goes some way to justifying the hike in prices. But I empathise with those here who now find Studio is all they need, yet are locked into paying full whack as the hardware only works with Ultimate / Flex. Given the huge increases in cost and lack of new features, a show of good faith would be to allow those with HD/HDX access to Studio.

(FWIW - I think Artist is a bust. Track counts simply too low - increase the basics from 32 to 64 and it’s a more reasonable proposition that competes with Cubase Elements).

I - and I’m sure others - would welcome you addressing these issues head on. Thanks for raising your head above the parapet!

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 04-28-2022 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:23 AM

Hi

I want to sell my Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual and buy Pro Tools perpetual given these changes.

I do not have HDX hardware and only upgraded from Pro Tools to Pro Tools Ultimate for Advance Automation and Clip FX etc about 3 years ago.

I do not want to be stuck paying $400 pa instead of $200 for absolutely nothing.

Of course Avid will never inform their customers about future plans or reasons why it may be of benefit staying on Ultimate so I have to make this decision based on the typically Avid vaguery. That is how I got in this mess in the first place.

Is this a straight forward process? I can see the Transfer of Owner form on the Avid site. Has anyone gone through this? Is there anything to watch out for?

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8