Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2003, 04:43 AM

Default please rceommend good mic for vocals and acoustic

Hi, I need a good, solid microphone for recording vocals and acoustic guitar all at once in a fairly controlled but somewhat live room. Any suggestions? And What mic pres do you recommend? Budget is 5-10k for mic and pres. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: please rceommend good mic for vocals and acous

for Vocal - Neuman 149, Neuman 69
for Acoustic Guitar - AKG C3000( not Solid Tube)
Old 09-18-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Re: please rceommend good mic for vocals and acoustic

Quote:
And What mic pres do you recommend?
this is such a vague question (as is the mic one). i mean, do you want a colored sound? a transparent, uncolored one? the answers to those questions makes a huge difference.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:39 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm looking for mics and pres that will allow me to capture very rich, warm, sounds for my acoustic/vocal recordings. If thats 'colored', so be it. I'm not sure what you mean. But I'd like to find mics and pres that, in sum, creat a clear, crisp, warm, rich sound.

Thanks,

Joseph
Old 09-25-2003, 02:22 AM

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I would STRONGLY recommend the Studioprojects C1. Now I do not own this mic yet, to be honest so this is just hearsay at this point but it appears to be blowing some minds in the professional circle, so Id give it a whirl. This is a gold sputtered tube condensor mic with a very large capsule and very low noise with a warm -expensive mic presence. Im days away from purchasing one, so I will verify this in just a bit.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:57 AM

As a general rule, when recording acoustic gtr & vox at the same time, using small diaphragm condenser mics on the gtr really makes sense because they'll pickup less bleed from the voice than a large diaphragm mic. There are some amazing small diaphragm condenser mics by Neumann and B&K. I would purchase a matched pair for stereo recording. For vocals, there are so many excellent tube large diaphragm mics available that it's almost impossible to recommend any one. Some are good for male, some better for female, but it's so subjective. The tube Neumann mics are truly amazing, whether it's new or vintage. (Since you have a good budget I'd go for the best I can afford).

As for pre's, well there's just tons out there: Avalon, Summit, Tubetech, Neve, API etc. etc.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:38 PM

I should probably point out that the StudioProjects is a LOW BUDGET mic that is around 200 bucks. Also the large capsule makes it appealing for vocals. Personally, I need an expensive mic sound on a budget, hence the C1 research. good luck.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Just to throw in my 2 cents. I would STRONGLY recommend the Studioprojects C1. Now I do not own this mic yet, to be honest so this is just hearsay at this point but it appears to be blowing some minds in the professional circle, so Id give it a whirl. This is a gold sputtered tube condensor mic with a very large capsule and very low noise with a warm -expensive mic presence. Im days away from purchasing one, so I will verify this in just a bit.
By the way...the C1 isn't a Tube mic. The T3 is. They look pretty much the same so it's easy to confuse them. I checked out the C1 at the AES show a while ago. They had it up next to a U87. On my speaking voice they sounded very similar...but I've never liked the U87 for vocals, so I probably would never buy a C1 specifically for vocals (cuz it sounds similar to a U87). I didn't really play with the T3 though, so I can't tell you how it sounds. But if you go to their website you can check 'em out.

studio projects webpage

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 09-25-2003, 07:49 PM

My mistake. Im sort of recalling an article I had read. They must have gotten the mics mixed up too. In any case, folks on a budget may want to start doing some reading about the Studio project series to see some of the feedback.

I have heard that since these mics are from China, they may be hit or miss, meaning that you may get a DUD and need to exchange it. But once you get a good model, its ready to rock. I'll post some feedback once I pick mine up.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:49 PM

My mistake. Im sort of recalling an article I had read. They must have gotten the mics mixed up too. In any case, folks on a budget may want to start doing some reading about the Studio project series to see some of the feedback.

I have heard that since these mics are from China, they may be hit or miss, meaning that you may get a DUD and need to exchange it. But once you get a good model, its ready to rock. I'll post some feedback once I pick mine up.