Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2022, 01:06 PM

Default A PC build that doesn't require freezing tracks

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

I'm truly curious. Does anyone run a windows build that they never have to freeze plugin heavy tracks?

What is it?

I'm currently waiting on a new PC build:

I'm going from:
I7 7700
16g ram
512g ssd boot drive
GTX 1070 (I know GPU doesn't matter that much)

To:

I9 12900k
64g 3200 ram
Rtx 3070
1t ssd boot drive
1t ssd drive for tracks

Right now on the old PC I need to freeze literally every track or my PC bogs down to unusable.
Will the new PC handle a few dozen tracks all with plugins?

I'm actually asking, I don't have a community up here in northern NH to ask.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2022, 01:46 PM

Default Re: A PC build that doesn't require freezing tracks

Hi welcome to DUC.

The bible for PC builds is this monster thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 No it's not just about i7 builds.

There is so much knowledge there, and it's' a good thread to post questions in (except you've posted here already... so if you do please come back and add a note here/pointer to your question over there so people don't waste time replying in both places).

Lots more info would likely help. What exact version of Pro Tools are you using on what exactly what Windows version. What IO buffer size (and sample rate) are you running at when you have problems. Some VIs or heavy plugins you will never get to small IO buffer sizes. What plugins are causing you problems?

Many systems are limited by things besides just hardware. E.g. have you fully optimized your system, done every last thing? Including all the BIOS settings? Have you got the latest ASIO interface drivers installed (not using ASIO4ALL)? Does your interface have really good ASIO drivers? Have you troubleshooted for plugins that may be causing problems? (just installed, they don't even need to be being used). Is disk cache enabled (set to a size not "normal"... but maybe you are tight on memory today? etc. If any of that is new to you start at "Help us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page.

SSDs are not just SSDs, with performance that varies widely. Hopefully you are looking at quality PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSDs (I currently like the Samsung 980 Pro). The reality is at those kinds of disk performance there is no need to have a seperate audio drive. You mostly would do that for space or convenience reasons.

And memory is not just memory. When you describe your build, especially in that build thread. What motherboard are you using/proposing to use and what exact model/spec memory... and make sure that exact memory is on the motherboard vendor qualification list. Is the memory correctly balanced across channels etc.

I think you would be better off moving this discussion to that thread, and filling in some of the details there (and again post here that you have done that).
Old 01-22-2022, 02:07 PM

Default Re: A PC build that doesn't require freezing tracks

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will head over there.
That is the info I needed, because no.. I haven't looked into the bios or much else from your list. I just thought "better PC better performance". I'm still learning.

The PC I ordered is from Digital Storm, made specifically with audio in mind, though I doubt they will optimize it for me.

I will post the complete specs there.

Thanks again.