Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

No, I think it's actually very clever the way it is. I like to keep control over the routing, even if it involves a little bit extra work verifying the track outputs.

Just an example: I can use the routing track in Edit to manage all my drums in one place. But, for mixing, I can still send out the kick and snare to separate busses for separate processing outside of the routing folder, or just to the main sum with separate processing, not that of the routing folder.

I think the current concept gives you a lot of flexibility!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
No, I think it's actually very clever the way it is. I like to keep control over the routing, even if it involves a little bit extra work verifying the track outputs.

Just an example: I can use the routing track in Edit to manage all my drums in one place. But, for mixing, I can still send out the kick and snare to separate busses for separate processing outside of the routing folder, or just to the main sum with separate processing, not that of the routing folder.

I think the current concept gives you a lot of flexibility!
I'd buy that if the default was to route through the fader. To have it default to ignoring it seems positively perverse.

As others have said, a checkbox preference would keep us both happy. It is the clumsiness and inconsistencies that make it a huge turn off for me at the moment.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-08-2020, 10:47 AM

Hey can you guys do that command click, or control click or whatever,,,on the routing folder's main output. That way you select multiple outputs and get that little plus sign? Know what I'm saying?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateUser1 View Post
Hey can you guys do that command click, or control click or whatever,,,on the routing folder's main output. That way you select multiple outputs and get that little plus sign? Know what I'm saying?
Yup. Just tried it and it works just like an Aux.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateUser1 View Post
Yes, works consistently with the other track types. Not sure how it helps here though for feature requests?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-09-2020, 11:55 AM

1) Folders expand children tracks below the folder leaving the folder visible above the children

2) There should be an toggle option view. Perhaps it's a preference check box. But when you hit Shift + F, the folder track itself disappears and reveals it's children in it's place.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:06 PM

delay compensation with plugins on routing tracks add plugins on the folder track with any plug cause all the tracks in folder to go out of sync
I had that issue until I rebooted Pro Tools There must have been something funky going on - I deleted the folder tracks called drums (same name as my group) called it something else rebooted and it fixed it.

Last edited by metalmixer; 04-11-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 PM

Can't seem to open a folder when bouncing down (i.e. in record). Anyone else confirm ? So...

(1) Ability to open/close folders regardless of playback/record state.

Edit: Nope, even on a very simple session, when recording can not expand/contract folders. Showstopper for me.

Also, as noted elsewhere, expanding/contracting folders clears record and monitor status. So...

(2) Expanding/contracting folders should not clear channel status.

Note, I see that this is the same behaviour as Show/Hide Tracks in Group. No changes during recording to any Group Show/Hide; clear track status when Hide.

Is this behaviour intentional ? Or am I missing something ?

Last edited by ejinbc; 04-12-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Not really a request, but I'm thinking doing that little trick would help you control all the outputs you want. You were talking about something not being controlled with the routing folder's fader I think. I'm like, hey try that trick see if it helps... maybe then the fader will behave the way you want if you selected the extra outputs. I literally haven't wanted the folders to do something other than what it does. yet... So I literally never tried it any different. Example: Drum folder, Each track goes to The stereo main, but has separate sends: NY comp, Chamber, REVS,HP mixes,...I wouldn't really want my drum routing folder fader adjusting anything other than the level to stereo main. I also have the effects returned to tracks in the folder which then go to the stereo main mix. But yeah if you get a check box in the update that works for you that's cool too!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:53 PM

I've seen that you can convert an Aux to a Track Folder. I wish you could convert a Track folder back to an Aux.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio