Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM

Default What to do with sd2 files.

I'm working in a post house doing mainly ads, we often reopen stuff from 2 or 3 years ago to reuse stuff in it or simply to actualise it. We stopped using sd2 files since a year or so but there is a lot in our active archives so they reapear all the time.

I had some advices from people I trust in the domain to get rid of it by, for example, performing a save copy in. None of them seems to be able to explain me why I should do this, everyone is just telling me it's now a format to avoid.

Does someone has more technical infos on why we should do this? for us it could seriously slow down the workflow and since we are not using it anymore they will simply disapear in time.

I just don't want to take that measure in the name of a myth.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Default Re: What to do with sd2 files.

The main problem with SDII and PT is that they don't support higher sample rates (even though DP does) and if the files ever hit anything other than a Mac formatted drive, like any Windows variant including internet servers, the resource fork will be stripped rendering the file unreadable.

I'm sure (hoping) Rail will chime in here with more details and correct me if I'm wrong.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM

SDII will get converted to WAV/AIFF automatically so it's no problem leaving them as they are...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
SDII will get converted to WAV/AIFF automatically so it's no problem leaving them as they are...

For now on mac with 8.03 sd2 files stills and are not converted. I heard that on pc it works that way but I didn't try.

I also had an information telling that sd2 file format can cause performance issue when used on a mac intel partition format, is it something that make sense ?

thx for your replies
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

SDII files are now considered legacy. Anything considered legacy will eventually be discontinued. Over time, Pro Tools has transitioned from storing all marker/region data within the corresponding file's resource fork to storing it within the ptf file instead.

SDII files are big endian, as was the PowerPC architecture. PCs and Intel-Macs are little endian, as are the .wav and AIFF-C/sowt file structures. Pro Tools will evolve to the point where it only supports little endianness.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Dmazurek is right on...the biggest fear with SDII files is accidentally moving a session to a non mac drive and totally destroying them.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM

EA won't work on SDII's as well - and I've noticed more glitchy behavior in 8 with older SDII sessions. Save copy in saves me for this.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
SDII files are now considered legacy. Anything considered legacy will eventually be discontinued. Over time, Pro Tools has transitioned from storing all marker/region data within the corresponding file's resource fork to storing it within the ptf file instead.

SDII files are big endian, as was the PowerPC architecture. PCs and Intel-Macs are little endian, as are the .wav and AIFF-C/sowt file structures. Pro Tools will evolve to the point where it only supports little endianness.
That's exactly the kind of information I was hunting for. thanx a lot.

Sean, I also can observe more glitchy behavior with protools 8.03 but not 8.01. That give me the impression that it's only 8.03 related and should be fixed in maybe the next release.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Yeah - sorry - I forgot to say 8.0.3. I thnk it's cause the PPC code is gone and everything is going little endian.

I've been requesting we kill SDII's here in-house for over a year. Most of us here have moved to WAV. We have one client who really wants SDII's - and they're running an ad agency in DP.