Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Waves "Studio Classics"

Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that these units default to "hiss on" ? I mean, why on earth would you want the hiss on?

Also, I've noticed certain plug-ins give a >1dB gain even when the settings are flat. Is this some sort of con-trick to convince us that the plug-ins sound "better" just by putting them on the track?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Waves "Studio Classics"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that these units default to "hiss on" ? I mean, why on earth would you want the hiss on?

Also, I've noticed certain plug-ins give a >1dB gain even when the settings are flat. Is this some sort of con-trick to convince us that the plug-ins sound "better" just by putting them on the track?
Hi,

save a preset as you want the settings then set as user default in the preset save menu.

They're modeled on the hardware, which is probably why the hiss is in and the levels are how they are.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

They're modeled on the hardware, which is probably why the hiss is in and the levels are how they are.

Chris
Really? I don't remember there being a "gain" control on the EQP1A for instance..... surely they could have just made the gain 0dB @ 0dB, if they're going to add an extra knob?

No doubt it's only me that finds this sort of thing annoying, but still.

But thanks for the User default tip anyway, 10 years and I hadn't even noticed it before.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM

very annoying indeed... I don't know of any other plugs that do that... specially the gain issue
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Many, many years ago I was in the studio with Jack Richardson (The Guess Who) and he told a story about the new digital recording technology that had just been unveiled:

A group of music producers were having the new digital recorder demonstrated to them, and when they listened to the playback, they all thought it sounded somehow 'wrong' but they couldn't explain how. The engineer demonstrating the new equipment asked them to step out of the studio for a minute, and when they came back in he played the recording again, and they all said, "There you go, that sounds right now! What did you do?"

"I added tape hiss."
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
save a preset as you want the settings then set as user default in the preset save menu.
Also a must with the CLA compressors IMO.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibal View Post
very annoying indeed... I don't know of any other plugs that do that... specially the gain issue
Hi,

There are quite a few. Especially UAD plugs that are exact models of the hardware.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Also a must with the CLA compressors IMO.
ok I did that but when I delete prefs (because of errors) I have to redo it for each plug - how can I keep the information in my plugs that they have to pick my user default?
thx
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyy View Post
ok I did that but when I delete prefs (because of errors) I have to redo it for each plug - how can I keep the information in my plugs that they have to pick my user default?
thx
I don't know, but I wonder if it would work if you save the plugin settings to the session folder instead of the root settings folder.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Use Jean-Charles Deshaies’ free Pro Tools Application, “Pro Tools Prefs & Database Helper,” links to which can be found within the very first “sticky” post at the top of this forum. Just one of the many reasons to incorporate it into one’s PT setup.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)