Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Problem with LE 7.1 or 7.1cs6 & 10.4.6?

Hi!

Is there anything special regarding ProTools LE 7.1 or 7.1cs6 and 10.4.6?
I'm now running on a iMacG5 (iSight) with a Mbox2 but I've seen this same kind of behaviour on a iBookG4 with another Mbox2 and on a 1.42 GHz DualG4 PowerMac with the old Mbox:

I can get 7.0 up and running smooth on ALL accounts.
7.1 only runs on THE admin account that was used to install it (it doesn't even run on any other admin account).
7.1cs6 runs on all accounts but NOT on a non-admin account that I've set up for our users to actually use.

Trying to launch 7.1 it only "unexpectedly quits" (on all accounts expect the account that installed it) and 7.1cs6 (on the non-admin account) shows a generic icon in the Finder & in the Dock and displays a dialog stating that ProTools LE "may be damaged or incomplete" (and sometimes even error code -10810) when I try to launch it.

If I give the non-admin account admin privilegies, everything in 7.1cs6 works, but when I remove the admin privilegies all is back to square one: generic icon etc.

I've now wiped the drive and reinstalled everything from scratch (using both a retail 10.4 install-DVD as well as the discs that came with the iMac) and updated (via Software Update or using standalone Combo updaters) to 10.4.6 as well as installing and uninstalling (both safe and complete) ProTools several times. Always with the same result.
I haven't yet tried to update only to 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 to see if that helps.
But there isn't anything on the duc or in the answerbase (or anywhere on the net! for that matter) that suggests that there would even be a problem using _this_ combination.

I've now reverted to 7.0 and all _seems_ to work. (Haven't had time to really _use_ ProTools now...)

But: is there something fishy with 7.1? Together with 10.4.6?
Anyone?

-matts
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Problem with LE 7.1 or 7.1cs6 & 10.4.6?

Yes, I had the exact same problem. I ended up having to revert to 7.0cs6 for everything to work properly. Seems to be a bug with 7.1.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 PM

Thanks!
(In a perhaps slightly pervert (?) way it is good to know that there's someone else out there who had the problem you're having, if you know what I mean?)

What is really strange, however, is that _since_ I'm not the only one having this problem, how come no-one else has reported this!?!?!?
This isn't any kind of a "new-version-first-day-out-scenario", 7.1 has been out for ages, hasn't it?

Did you have this specific problem with 10.4.6?

Any other system specs you care to shed some light on? ;-)

-matts
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
_since_ I'm not the only one having this problem, how come no-one else has reported this!?!?!?

CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK

and finally CLICK!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Hi globaleric!

Thanks! I simply can't understand how I could've missed those threads! (Maybe I misspelled something while searching or just used some wrong, stupid search terms!?!?)

Anyway, it seems conluded that this isn't a problem with the iMacG5 or 10.4.6 but with 7.1 and good that Digidesign IS looking into it:

Quote:
DigiTechSupt
Administrator

04/03/06 08:37 PM

We are aware of this and are looking into a fix.
I've tried most of the suggestions in the threads, but not all of them - I will do that now.

Gomi's suggestions in this thread sounds promising: CLICK

When done, I report back.

-matts
Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 AM

Hi!

I've now to some extent tested gomi's suggestions (see previous post).

I'm a newbie at all this, and trying to learn as I go along - but after some thinkering I believe I got everything up and running, but all this has to be thoroughly tested (regarding ProTools as well as all other software on the machine) before I can say more.
But so far, I'm pleased to be able to report that all _seems_ to be working.

Some precautions:

A. Always install your software using the one and only admin account you decide on installing software from. Trying to fix this ProTools 7.1 issue from _another_ admin account than the one used to install ProTools did _not_ work at all

B. You have to type:

chmod 777 "/Volumes/Name Of Your OSX Drive With ProTools/"

to be able to change the permissions of the root folder of the startup drive with ProTools installed; just typing chmod 777 /Name Of Your OSX Drive With ProTools/ is not enough (this is because all drives in OS X are mounted in the ./Volumes/-directory - if I've understood this right)

Note: you have to use quotation marks if the name of your drive has spaces: "/Volumes/Name Of Your OSX Drive With ProTools/"
Try to avoid them, or use underscores: Name_Of_Your_OSX_Dive_With_ProTools.

And remember to NOT use -Rf while doing this step!!! (Otherwise you end up with a machine with every file belonging to everyone!)

(BTW: I've learned that using the Tab key while typing commands makes Terminal automatically insert the only possible option (if there is one), and tapping Tab twice shows you all the options there currently is: so (as an example) if you type /V and then tap Tab you will get the rest of the word "Volumes" inserted automatically together with the slash = olumes/ !! So write /V and tap Tab and you get /Volumes/ !)

C. So as a whole, my version (for my own personal use only) would be:

(Note: If you're tempted to try it for yourself, use at your OWN risk!!! Always make a backup of all your precious files before attempting stuff like this!!! And always be VERY careful while using root or sudo!!!!!)

0. Log in to the _same_ admin account you installed ProTools with
1. Open Terminal
2. type: sudo chmod 777 "/Volumes/Name Of Your OSX Drive With ProTools/" (NOTE: don't use -Rf in this step!!!!)
3. give your admin password (it won't be shown) - sudo is now active for 5 minutes, I believe, so no need to type sudo again
4. type: chmod -Rf 777 "/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/"
5. type: chmod -Rf 777 "Applications/Digidesign/"

That's it.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

- - -

Disclaimer:

As I already said: being the newbie I am, and I really don't know what mess this might get you into, I really think this whole thing needs to be tested (preferably by many people on various systems not used in production) a _whole_ lot more than I've now done, before this should be considered a general suggestion for getting a (presumably) buggy version of ProTools up and running!
The solution should come from Digidesign (and/or together with Apple).

I'm NOT endorsing this - use at your own risk - but for me it seems to work. I'll let you know if it doesn't, while I would be very glad to hear from Digidesign that there is an official fix available.

If you anyway decide to test this, please report back on how you succeed!

-matts
Old 05-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I simply can't understand how I could've missed those threads! (Maybe I misspelled something while searching or just used some wrong, stupid search terms!?!?)
Possibly because when searching for multiple keywords, the search expression requires the "Altavista" syntax (explained under "Advanced search tips", i.e.: +7.1 +account +problem ) while everyone's used to Google nowadays...
Maybe you also missed to set the date range to something higher than the 1 week default.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
when searching for multiple keywords, the search expression requires the "Altavista" syntax
Could very well be why I missed it!

-matts
Old 05-10-2006, 01:10 AM

ProTools HD & LE 7.1cs7 are out.

LE 7.1cs7 seems to fix the problem with non-admin accounts - but more testing needed.

Apparently there wasn't a similar problem with 7.1 HD since the "what's fixed"-section for the HD 7.1cs7 doesn't list any such problem as fixed (or then it isn't yet fixed!?) - anyone?

-matts